Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Long-Term Feature Request

I've got a feature request for CityDesk 2 (or maybe 3 or 4!).

Since CityDesk is built on top of a database, I'd like to be able to create custom data tables with it.

So for example, you could create a table with 5 fields: URL, Name, Score, Date, and Topic. Then you could create some CityScript to display fields from that table to build a list of links to web pages on the topic of Photography, ordered by Score.

I've created a kludge to do this sort of thing on my site:
http://www.pool-room.com/Personal/Photography/fog0000000111.html

I had to make each link an article, with URL, Score, Topic, etc entered into the extra fields. It would certainly be a lot easier to maintain the data using a table with a spreadsheet-like editing control.

Other uses might be to maintain a list of books (with scores, links to Amazon.com, etc) or to provide a list of contact names and phone numbers for various departments on an intranet site.

I know this isn't simple to implement and won't happen anytime soon, but could it possibly find its way onto the long-term feature list?

Darren Collins
Tuesday, February 12, 2002

I highly agree with this feature wish.

This could be even better if you can define more precisely the type of every field in the table:
numeric,  date, simple text, formatted text, url, free fields or list of constrained values, and so on.
And, why not,  spreadsheet formulas ? so we could easily update things as financial tables, rates changes...

This ability to define the type of field could also be available with extra1, extra 2, extraN fields.

Vincent Bénard
Tuesday, February 12, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home