Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Bug In Publishing

To reproduce:

1. Open an article, make a modification, Ctrl-S to save the article, then publish it via FTP using the Publish button on the Article window.

2. When the publish is finished, close the Article window.

3. Hit the Publish button on the main window and select the same FTP option as before.

I expected CityDesk just to publish the changed files (which was only one or two), but it published *every* page of my site again.

It looks like publishing a single article does something to the citydesk.xml file, so that it loses track of which version of each file has been uploaded. Consequently every file gets uploaded again on the next full publish. This was a bit painful for me on a dial-up connection!

Darren Collins
Monday, February 11, 2002

I have this problem as well . . . I think that including a variable in my page causes it to automatically be republished. Every page on my site that includes a variable is republished every time.

A.

A similar problem came up earlier on this board that involved the location of the .xml file with the site information. CityDesk creates an .xml file in the root of your site that contains all the files and checksums (file sizes). It only publishes them if the checksum changes, but it has to be able to pull this file down from the server to examine it.

If CityDesk can't locate the xml file immediately it will republish every file, so you have to be sure your starting directory for FTP is specified in CityDesk.

Mark W

I don't think it's working quite right:

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=1374&ixReplies=8

I publish a site in yahoo.  I added two pages today and changed one page, City republished all 75 pages.  Just for kicks, I republished with no changes.  City worked perfectly.  I have two other sites that has similar behavior.  To me it's unpredictable.  I keep asking myself, why is it republishing articles I haven't changed in a month?

tk

We just tracked down that bug last week :)

http://www.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/kb/fog0000000074.html

We'll fix it for SP1.

Joel Spolsky

That definitely rings a bell.

Thanks

tk

Sweet!

Darren Collins

*  Recent Topics