Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Feature Request: Documents as Articles

It would be great if documents (files, word doc's, zip files, pdf's, etc.) could have some of the metadata that surrounds articles. We hande a lot of files & if we could pull these into loops, add headlines & teasers, etc. it would greatly simplify our lives.

Basically, the document would replace the body, and it wouldn't require a template - you would just publish th efile. These documents could be listed on pages via loops just like any article.

I know I requested it before, but it's something that would be really great for us & I don't believe anyone responded to my last request.

Mark W
Saturday, February 09, 2002

I'm not sure what you mean by "just publish"? Do you mean to put the contents in a page, or upload the file directly to the server? If you mean the latter, how would the metadata be applied? That would normally require the document to be in HTML form.

Maury Markowitz

Well, when you publish an article the {$.body$} isn't the only thing that's put into the file (unless that's what your template says. When you publish a file the *file* is the only thing that gets put into a file.

For example:

Click here to start using CityDesk!

becomes /Articles/Fog0000000006.html

While:

projectstatus.pdf

becomes /projects/projectstatus.pdf

therefore no template needs to be assigned to it.

However, you may want to create an index of files:

{$foreach x in (folder "projects")$}
<a href="{$x.link$}">{$x.headline$}</a><BR>
{$x.fileddate$} - {$x.author$}<BR>
{$x.teaser$}
<hr>
{$next$}

in which case, the headline, author, fileddate, and teaser fields become useful. While they're not published with the file, they're used in a loop somewhere.

Alternately, they could be published with the file so you get a screen like:

The CityDesk File Project
author - Mark W.
FiledDate - Feb 07, 2002
Abstract - blah blah blah
File - project.pdf

"project.pdf" would be a link. This is sort of like what IBM does with documentaiton from their old systems. I guess you could select the template for it (template / just publish file).

Mark W

I think what he is asking for with this is  a special type of Article.  Lets call it a "File Article".  Its the same as a normal article except that it has no body copy.  Instead it has an arbitrary file associated with it.  Yet it also has all the meta data.

For CityDesk, this means copying the file into the Jet database and uploading it on publish.  A link to that file does whatever browsers do (download for most things).

Seems a reasonable simple enhancement.  An alternative approach would be to keep things simple and still have only the one type of article.  There would be a button or field to optionally associate exactly one file with an article.  Then one could construct a link {$x.file} or something like that.  This would let him do what he is asking while not cluttering the wonderful simple design you already have.

David Whatley
Sunday, February 10, 2002

Exactly. I figure since they're implementing "HTML document as Article," "File as Article" seems like a logical, and consistent UI choice.

Mark W

Hopefully then you could change the actual document w/o deleting one "article" and creating another so you don't have to re-type all the metadata.

Mark W

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home