Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

META Tags & css

We use MS Indexing service on our intranet which uses the META NAME="DESCRIPTION" CONTENT="blah blah" tag to generate an absctract of the document. Is there any way of using CD to allow the user to input the content of the tag?

Also CD doesn't seem to support stylesheets e.g. allowing the user to select from a list of defined styles when formating the document. Is that correct?

Walter Alan
Tuesday, February 05, 2002

Here is an example of using Meta tags

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=1403&ixReplies=2

<META name="description" content="{$.headline$}">
<META name="keywords" content="{$.keywords$}">

Template families, keywords, or audiences might help on styles.

tk

Walter, that's correct, there is no way to let the end-user select from the styles in a style sheet. It's a good idea and it's on our wish list.

Joel Spolsky

I'd like to bring this one up again:

Does this argue for a separate "internal" and "external" set of tags? I use my keywords fields to create a list that I later export in the META tag. However this isn't what keywords is really for, and using it in this fashion means I don't get to use it for what it was originally intended (it overloads it too much).

So I'd like to see another tab on the article editor for "HTML properties" with a nice list of things like keywords, title, description, author, language and document type etc. As with the current properties, as many of these would be filled out automatically as possible (title for instance).

Does this make sense?

Maury Markowitz

Maury, your method seems okay, but it means that CityDesk is 'closed ended' and if development stops at 1.x, it won't be able to keep up with future HTML enhancements, *and* you have to stick various property fields into your templates.

If CityDesk is open enough for you to define your own fields, you would be able to set up any of these easily:

<meta name="keywords" content="{$.metakeywords$}">
<body bgcolor="{$.bgcolor$}>

etc. where "{$.metakeywords$}" and "{$.bgcolor$}" are fields you define. Perhaps even defining "bgcolor" as a dropdown??

I can dream, can't I?

Mark W

I agree with Mark - allowing the user to define their own custom fields would be the best solution to this. After all, HTML isn't the only thing CityDesk can generate, so why make extra fields HTML-specific? You can use CityDesk to create plain text, RSS feeds, XML, etc.

Darren Collins

Perhaps I should have been more clear on this - what I want is not a set of defined tag fields, but a new tab. That way *I* can collect the ones that are more HTML related into this tab as opposed to the existing ones. Of course we all want user-defined fields!

And in addition, of course, the most common set of these fields would be defined and placed in this tab. That will encourage users to make better HTML-compliant web sites, right out of the box.

Maury Markowitz

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home