Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Feature Request: index.html "article"

Hi.

I'm in the midst of creating a site with multiple templates, and the logistics are making my head spin.

One piece of trouble is that I can't maintain a central template that also updates the index.html file, I have to construct seperate templates and index.html files even though the index.html follows the template exactly.

In essence my "index article" requirement is as follows:

One Article per folder should be allowed to have the filename "index.html" Two of copies of this file would be created - the "fogxx.html" and a copy as "index.html" this way the article could be referenced from CityDesk files using it's permenant name, and shared easily using the foldername. "www.site.com/folder"

This would apply to the root directory as well.

Mark W
Monday, February 04, 2002

If we give you a feature to name articles with any name you want, instead of fog0000000xxx.html, will that do it? Then you can name an article index.html and be done with it.

Joel Spolsky

I'd prefer being able to name articles anything you want.

Darren Collins

Hmm, I just re-read my post and it's not clear. I meant "I'd prefer Joel's solution".

Darren Collins

I guess that means that index.html can now be an article with a template.  So, nearly everything could be an article.  Sounds good to me.

tk

I like Joel's suggestion too...That would be helpful in many cases...

Richard Caetano

I had thought of what Joel suggested and wondered about the possibity of somehow screwing up the db by naming two things with the same name, or screwing up links.

For example, you have an article with the name index.html in folder /blah. You also have one in the folder /news. When you drag and drop one into the other, which one gets the name?

Also, how, in the GUI / folder view, do you know which one has which name, since these things are hidden. I guess one way to do it is to change the icon for "Articles with literal names" similar to the way HTML pages have their own icons and you know they're going to publish exactly as is.

Of course, I'm sure these are things Joel's already thought of and I trust his wisdom in this matter.

Mark W

PS - Thanks

Mark W

What Joel suggests is what we need ... urgently.
It will enhance CityDesk's ease of maintaining a site via templates tremendously, thus making it a much more attractive option.
Could it be squeezed into SP1?
Many thanks in advance.

Paul Iliano
Tuesday, February 05, 2002

Just another "me too", I suppose... my index.aspx file would translate perfectly into a template, and is the only non-article (non-media) file in my site.

Brad Wilson

Mark, this is basically the #1 asked feature for the app (although the ability to do next/back might be, I haven't counted).

With the ability to give articles "static names" instead of always using the fog0000... ones, the need for a separate class of files for HTML vs. articles basically goes away. Make an article, call it index.html, tell it to use template xxx (or alternately and just as important, No Template) and presto.

Maury Markowitz

I'm definately looking forward to seeing this implemented.

I thought the #1 most requested feature was the ability to rename & add fields so we have more than just "extra1" and "extra2."

Mark W

I agree. The ability to use a template for the index.html is essential. I desperately need this functionality.

Thomas van Putten
Friday, February 08, 2002

A quick and dirty solution in the problem  is using a meta equiv=refresh.. TAG to point to the first article: I working with that now but renaming an article to index.html, or, by default, naming the first article "index.html", still has my vote.

this is what iput in my index.html:

<html>
<head> 
<META http-equiv="refresh" content="1; url=PTMFOG0000000072">
</head>
</html>

Thomas van Putten
Friday, February 08, 2002

Just an addition to the Knowledge Base article, for those of us who are using *nix-based web servers. This simple Perl script (can't get much simpler than this!) will perform a server redirect to the appropriate fog0000000x.html page:

#! /usr/bin/perl
print "Location: http://your.site.net/fog0000x.html\n\n";

That's it. Just name this script "index.cgi" and place it in the directory where you'd like the redirect to occur.

This presume a basic familiarity with perl, CGI, and webserver administration. Feel free to e-mail if you're not familiar with this stuff.

Joel Grossman
Friday, February 15, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home