Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Suggestion: Custom Preview Location

When using templates with server side code such as ASP, it would be useful to be able to customize (or remove) the "Preview" location so that CD will always use a URL for preview on the server.  Right now, there is no way to prevent users from accidently using the Preview button.

I use two publish locations: one for preview and one for the public site, but I can't make that intuitive to my users in the UI.

Along the same lines, it would be useful to allow a "URL for Preview" even when using the "File Copy" publishing method.

Neil Hoopman
Thursday, January 31, 2002

I just gave up on using Preview mode, and instead keep two different publish locations for my local server and my live server. I also run FTP on my local server, just so I can set up an URL for viewing it.

Brad Wilson
Thursday, January 31, 2002

I also use a seperate publishing location for previews from time to time, this way I can easily bookmark the preview location, or keep my browser on a single page through multiple iterations and just hit "refresh" when I want to see it.

Mark W
Friday, February 01, 2002

I'll make a note of that for a future release. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to preview through a URL.

Joel Spolsky
Friday, February 01, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home