Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

DHTMl, Page rename

Hi there,

Is there DHTML support?  (or "Tidy" support before publishing?)

Page Names: Can I rename the pages in my own names? (VERY important for search engine placement, somewhat important for your own taste...)

Thanks in advance

Baruch
Thursday, January 31, 2002

Regarding file naming, I second that-- many folks ask about this.  In many cases it is useful to have human-readable URLs, especially in email.

Neil Hoopman

One of my customers sent out an email yesterday that said "check out this page on my website" along with a typical 50-character FOG URL.  When I got the email, I cringed.  I thought I'd gotten used to the FOG URL's.

After some personal rationalizing I decided that the big URL probably impressed most of his customers.  I don't think most folks remember much after the first "/" anyway.

I would like to control article URL's once in a while but I'd rarely do it.  I'd welcome CityDesk eliminating the leading zeros:  Compared to FOG0000000073, FOG73 wouldn't be so bad.

tk

It would be nice to have the ability to change the prefix "FOG" to something else, as well.

Bill Ruppert
Friday, February 01, 2002

Our plan is that in our next service pack release (SP1), you can name the pages whatever you want. The default will still be fogXX.html, but the leading zeros will go away. Existing pages imported from 1.0 will still publish with their old URLs for backwards compatibility.

Joel Spolsky
Friday, February 01, 2002

*sweet*

Mark W
Saturday, February 02, 2002

I dunno. Having the "fog" page names is kind of nice... saw this in my server's referrer log today:

http://richard.caetano.com/Articles/fog0000000017.html

An interesting side effect, if you ask me.

(BTW, thanks for the compliment, Richard. Nobody on the web has ever referred to me as "smart" before!)

Brian St. Pierre
Wednesday, February 13, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home