Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Pro Edition Question

Where is the default AUTHOR field stored, on the Database or somewhere in the individual install of CityDesk?

I.e. If I have a dozen person team, all working on a site, will we each create new articles that default to the last person's name, or will we each have our own name as default?

Mark W
Wednesday, January 30, 2002

Note that that's "Previous Person's Name" not "Person's Last Name"

Mark W

The author thing drives me nuts sometimes.  I may be wrong, but it seems that the author defaults to the author of the previous article I created even if that previous article was in another site.

tk

Yes, this seems to be the case. Now in the Pro edition, where does it come from?

If it always comes from the application then I'm happy - one author per application = that author always has the same AUTHOR field. If the author is inhereted from the last time the Author field was used, and comes from the DB, then I'm unahppy = the author always has to check the field and updated it.

Mark W

Its stored in the Registry, so its not related to the database.

If you edit db A, and then close it and open db B, it will use the same author.  If you send me your db A, it will use my author, since its registry specific not file specific.

Michael H. Pryor
Thursday, January 31, 2002

That explains it but I'd much prefer that you store the "latest author" in the .cty file instead of the Registry.  I'd prefer no default author.  I'd rather have no author than the wrong author.

tk

I agree that "no author rather than the wrong author" is a good idea (perhaps a switch inside CityDesk or a global variable "Default Author"?)

But I disagree that it should be stored in the .cty file because then 6 people on 6 computers working on 1 project would have to remember to always always change the author.

Mark W

Agree, I prefer storing in .cty to storing in Registery but I much prefer "blank author" to the default author.  Auto completion sounds good, blank sounds like less programming work.

On some articles the only reason I even look the Poperties page is to correct the default author name.  I always have to look.

I guess the logic of storing in the Registry is the presumtion the I am the author of every article created on my machine.

tk

I think the confusion stems from the fact that TK uses CityDesk to make sites for other people and then puts their names as the author.  For example, the memoirs page and the coit page appear as if their written by the people they were made for (if I'm not mistaken).  So in his case he would want the author to be stored with the .cty file (or better, no default author)... whereas I suspect in most cases its much better to have the author stored in the registry since the user is always using the same machine.  Anyway, we'll have to think about this some more, but I suspect allowing you to turn it off is the best option.

Michael H. Pryor

I'm not confused anymore (about this, that is).

I think most small-time webmasters spend their time publishing other folks' content in several different websites.  In the case of a school site or neighborhood association for example, all kinds of folks provide articles.

Allowing me to turn the feature on or off would be fine, I'd prefer it remember the last author for this site though and it would be easy for you to document:  "The last author you typed is the default author of your site, unless you turn it off."

tk

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home