Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

BUG: Copy / Paste into Other Apps

I've tried various methods of selecting - using the Mouse, CTRL+A, Edit / Select All; and various methods of copying - Right Click / Copy, CTRL+C, Edit / Copy.

Then pasting into another app, such as Dreamwaever I typically don't get any output, as if nothing was copied. My workaround is to copy/paste into Notepad and then copy/paste into Dreamweaver.

I'm running Windows NT with a fairly recent service pack.

Mark W
Wednesday, January 30, 2002

Can you me more specific as to what you are copying?  Are you copying text from an article? a sidebar?  the html view? normal view?

Thanks for helping us track it down...

Michael H. Pryor
Thursday, January 31, 2002

I'm, in the body, HTML view, trying to copy the code and paste it into the code view in Dreamweaver.

Mark W
Thursday, January 31, 2002

You're not using a beta, are you? We had a bug like this in one of the betas.

(I've tried exactly what you're doing over here, with Dreamweaver and everything, and it's working fine.)

Joel Spolsky
Friday, February 01, 2002

Uh. I don't think so. I know I downloaded a beta version but couldn't install it due to some weird bug with Outlook 98 and IE 5.x that wouldn't allow me to install IE. Finally I got IE 5.5 and was able to install CityDesk. By that time the Beta period was over and I simply downloaded the free version to install.

When I get back to work I'll look up the version # in CityDesk and post it here.

I'm using Dreamweaver 3, btw. Dunno if that makes any difference.

Mark W
Friday, February 01, 2002

I am using:

Fog Creek Software
CityDesk Content Management System
Start Editino 1.0.23
Build 20011128D

Will attempt a reinstall from a clean download.

Mark W
Monday, February 04, 2002

I've just installed CityDesk from a file just downloaded from your site and am experiencing the same problem. If I paste into another application, such as notepad, or this textbox in IE, I can then paste into Dreamweaver, but not straight into Dreamweaver.

My somewhat uneducated guess is that it has to do with the format of the text that's copied out - Clipboard in NT (& other versions of windows, I believe) seems to make a distinction between formatted and unformatted text allowing you to paste, say, WORD text into Frontpage and keep the formatting, yet paste into Notepad without any formatting.

Pasting it into another app breaks this formatting and allows you to paste into dreamweaver.

That's my theory, I have no clue as to whether or not it's valid.

Mark W

I actually suspect this is a dreamweaver 3 limitation that was fixed in dreamweaver 4. (We only have version 4 here.)

Does Dreamweaver 3 have any other Paste commands? (e.g. Paste as HTML vs. Paste as Text?)

Joel Spolsky

I'll try upgrading to DW4 and see if that fixes it - we actually have the upgrade but I never bothered with it. I'm not always big on upgrading when the old version works fine. Sometimes it causes a productivity loss as I adjust. I'm just beginning to get used to Windows98 (Windows 95 seems so much more "user friendly").

In the HTML view there is no menu, but right click reveals "Paste." In the "normal" view there's "Paste" and
Paste as Text" as you predicted. I was going into the HTML view, selecting all and pasting because I wanted to include all the tags up to and including <HTML> and everything in the <HEAD> and inside the <BODY> tag.

Mark W

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home