Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Orphaned File Finder

I'd love to see an Orphaned File Finder - files within the DB that aren't referenced by any HTML file or Document. These can clutter the DataBase and CityDesk publishes these anyawy (or so it seems). On most sites this is just a space issue, but space isn't a problem for us - old and out of compliance documents are.

Another good feature would be actually deleting files from the production area that have been deleted form the DB. This way we don't have to log into production and search for orphaned files that may turn up in a search engine.

Mark W
Wednesday, January 30, 2002

When I remove files from CityDesk, they are deleted from my production server automatically by CityDesk on next publish.

Brad Wilson

I did this to relate all my files to their URL's.  It helps me with keywords too
:
{$foreach x in (all)$}
URL:  "{$x.link$}"
    Filename:  {$x.filename$}
        Keywords:  {$x.keywords$}

tk

I think my post didn't go through, so forgive me if I'm saying this twice.

- Thanks for the info on the deletion of files, I'll have to try that out. I think I was thinking of files that are in the DB but aren't linked.

- That's great for listing all articles, but it doesn't list non-article documents. No PDF's, HTML's, CSS's, etc.

Mark W

Agree but at least we know the URL's of the non-article files.

tk

I don't know how difficult it would be to implement, but the same way CityDesk tells you if you're publishing a site with broken internal links, it should also tell you if you're publishing a site with files that aren't referenced by any articles or HTML files. "Are you sure you want to publish (yes|no)."

Mark W
Friday, February 01, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home