Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

New CityDesk Site with Development Guide

I've been playing Dark Age of Camelot (massive multiplayer online role playing game) for a few months and must recently joined a guild.  We realized we needed a web site for the guild so I volunteered to build it in CityDesk for two reasons:

1.  Once the basic templates are setup, it is far easier to add content with CD than doing it by hand.

2.  I can give the template away to other guilds and maybe drive some revenue for Joel.

I have also created a beginner's guide to building a site with CD.  It's not perfect but it takes the reader through the steps I followed building the site.  There's some methodology, some code, and of course, the complete .cty file for anyone who wants it.  I believe a guild could take the file and create a new site in less than 8 hours.

Here are the links:

Site:
www.kevinsherwood.com/DAOC/

Dev Methodology: www.kevinsherwood.com/DevCityDesk.doc

.cty:
www.kevinsherwood.com/sample.cty

Please feedback on this from the perspective of a newbie CD developer.  I'm not trying to be a rocket scientist, just help new developers be productive.  If it is well-received, I will continue to add content as I develop new sites.  If not, no big deal, I didn't do it for you :-p

:-)

ks

Kevin Sherwood
Tuesday, January 29, 2002

nice site!

Joel Spolsky
Friday, February 01, 2002

I liked your development methodology; for me it refreshingly new way.

Paul Iliano
Friday, February 08, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home