Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Configuration Management Tool Interfaces?

As a CM person, my first thoughts are that CM with CityDesk is perhaps most easily achieved by publishing to local disk and snapshotting files into a server or similar.

Problem being that a minor change to global template will make the whole site change!

I wouldn't want to save the complete Jet DB as a blob in my CM system - not very helpful to get reports.

Any other approaches or suggestions?

What I am looking for is an easy way to dump out the basic files (templates and content) and control them with any 3rd party CM tool (so I can see diffs between versions, when changes were made, etc)

Robert Cowham
Monday, January 28, 2002

You could set up a different family of templates for insertion into your version control system. These templates should be very plain - basically just dumping {$.body$} and any other fields you're interested in into a plain document.

You'd then be able to publish all these plain documents into a directory and then read them into your version control system.

This way, minor template changes won't cause every document in your version control system to be updated. Files will only update when you change the content of an article or add new articles.

Has anyone tried this?

Darren Collins
Monday, January 28, 2002

No, but I dumped all of my CityDesk generated folders into CS-RCS: http://www.componentsoftware.com/csrcs/

Seems to work fine . . .

(Besides, all articles can only use one template, and are only in one folder, are they not?)

A.
Tuesday, January 29, 2002

Hmm. I edit all of my templates in Dreamweaver and save them in a seperate "template" folder. This helps a lot with figuring out nested tables and such. I could then archive this. I then copy these into CityDesk as templates.

Then you can create an XML document (malformed due to the generated HTML code?) template that spit out the various fields in all or some of the articles. This can then be plopped into a db, or used as a static archive (and versioned with an RCS/CVS system).

Depending on how close to the file structure you needed the archive to be, you may have to code more than one XML document, or one XML document adding and editing with each folder you create in Citydesk, and I don't know of any way to map this to a "fogxxx" file.

I can't think of any automated way to save location settings and global variables. You can write them down, or again, store them in sort of XML file that you manually edit. Perhaps at the top of your master XML template.

Let us know how it works out.

Mark W

Replying to "A" above, who said:

"Besides, all articles can only use one template, and are only in one folder, are they not?"

No, articles can use more than one template and be published to more than one directory if you use Template Families.

Darren Collins

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home