Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

NOt able to view page off of published cty file

Help. Please. I have been working on a site for past few days and something has gone haywire. What is happening is that I can preview and publish all files without any parsing errors. When I launch the site in my browser, however, any link I select off of the index.html page tells me that the page is not found. The browser's URL address window up-top says, for example,

unsaved:///Articles/Porche/fog0000000040.html

Why does it say "unsaved" and why can't I find it. Is this something to do with the hitting the trial limit on number of files I can save? Or is something strange happening with some records in my CTY file?

Just to be clear: I can open CD and edit the articles. If I change the name of a doc that is linked-off of the index.html page, the name changes correctly on the index.html page. I just can't get to the page. If I click the link, I get a page not found in my browser.

Any hints here?

Ben Meiry
Wednesday, January 23, 2002

Correction: For accuracy sake, the browser error I am getting does not say "page not found", but something similar:

The page cannot be displayed:
The page you are looking for might have been removed or had its name changed.

Ben Meiry

unsaved: is something other HTML editors (specifically Front Page, if I remember correctly) use as temporary URLs when you create a link to a new, unsaved HTML file. Theoretically when you then save that new file they fix the link.

Joel Spolsky

Just to check - you're publishing the whole site, not just a single article, aren't you?

If you're just publishing a single article, then you'll get "page not found"-type errors when you click on links if those pages haven't been published yet.

I haven't seen the "unsaved" thing before, though.

Darren Collins

Darren, you described exactly what has sent me into a delirious panic several times until I realized what was going on.

tk

Joel, yes, I am using FP and may have "saved" the file in FP unintentionally (I have been trying to just cut and paste, not trusting it...). But now I have going through the effected files and repairing the links....

Ben Meiry

TK: Thanks for your input. No I was doing the publishing the whole site, not just one page. I think Joel hit the nail on the head. I was using FrontPage for some quick table formatting and must have saved files with FP-Funkiness in it. I now have to go and clean all of it up. Time for Dreamweaver, I suppose. Now I know to watch for what you warned of as well.

Ben Meiry

You should check the FP options, because I think you might be able to tell it to leave your links alone.

Michael H. Pryor

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home