Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Future Enhancement Request: "Repeat Publishing"

Sorry, on a role this morning. Coffee was too good...

Suggestion: Expand on the publish before and after date options by allowing users to specify a repeat schedule. For example, I want to just have my Christmas Story be visible around Christmas. I could easily do that if there was a control next to the publish dates options that allowed choose the cycle for making it visible. Perhaps if the feature was renamed "Show/Hide Schedule" and had these controls on the article property tab: 

Article is Visible: [use dropdown control]
"Always"
"After Date"
"Before Date"
"Inbetween Dates"
"Never"

[Depending on which option is chosen, display additional controls as appropriate. For "Inbetween Dates" allow user to set "Repeat" control to:

"Never"
"Every Week" [Select 1 or more days of week to be visible]
"Every Month"  [e.g., every payday at end of month
"Every Year".... [This would allow for seasonal postings, etc...

-Ben

Ben Meiry
Wednesday, January 23, 2002

Are you saying you want particular articles to only be visible for short periods of time? I can't see what use that is.

In your examples, what if someone doesn't visit the site on payday - they won't be able to see the information they missed out on until next pay day. Or what about the friend that gets back from holidays and finds your email linking to the Christmas Story - he clicks on it, but it's been removed already so he gets a broken link.

Could you maybe elaborate upon what you'd like to do with this feature? What harm is there in leaving that stuff permanently visible?

Darren Collins

Darren:

An example of having a document be invisible and then visible and then invisible would be a catalog I am doing that has all types of seasonal content, like summer themes, christmas sales, back-to-school stuff. It's more of an advertising-driven thing.  I could do what I need, I guess, with "Audiences", saying that some content is published for a Back-To-School audience, and put that site up end-of-summer, and then take it down a few months later, but it seems like a good use for automation. Regarding the reference to monthly "payday", actually, the client I am working for specifically asked me to post certain information on their website periodically--only at certain times in the month they want certain information posted. I am not in a position to argue with them. No point in going into details on that, just saying that some people seem to have a need for rotating certain content....

Ben Meiry

OK, it's a bit clearer to me what you're wanting to do.

For the back-to-school-sale thing, would the page you want to display really be the same each year? Wouldn't prices, products, etc change? So I reason that if I was editing the page anyway, I'd just change the "don't post before/after" dates manually while I've got the article open.

The other issue is that using CityDesk to control what days/weeks/seasons content appears won't work very well. CityDesk can only change the site when you Publish. So if your client wants certain info only available on Tuesdays, then you'd need to hit "Publish" first thing Tuesday morning to put it there, and republish last thing Tuesday night to remove it again.

I don't doubt you've got a use for the feature, but I don't think many other people would.

Darren Collins

What about a small company Intranet. You could publish various versions for different job functions with things that have to be done on a weekly basis.

"Monday

- Read last weeks supply inventory
- Order any supplies that fall below threshold"

etc. Or their a Restaurant's Internet site where they have specials for each day of the week:

"Monday Specials

- Lobster Bisque
- Canadian Buffalo burgers
- Vegetarian Spinach Pie"

Mark W
Sunday, February 03, 2002

Sure, you can publish pages about what specials you're going to have on Monday. But why does it only have to be visible on Monday?

If I'm checking your website on Sunday night, I won't know about your specials. I'll bring lunch to work on Monday, and then realise that you had Lobster Bisque (which I love). But I brought my own lunch, so you miss a sale.

Why wouldn't you just publish a single page that showed upcoming specials in advance?

With your intranet example, what happens if I had Monday off sick? On Tuesday, I won't be able to access the page with Monday's reminders for my job function, so I have to wait another week to be reminded what to do. Or maybe I want to prepare for tomorrow's activities, but I can't see the reminder page for Wednesday because today's Tuesday. What's wrong with just having a bunch of pages, one for each day of the week, so I can click on whichever day I'm curious about?

I still don't understand why these pages need to only be visible on one day. In most cases, it is just making the website less helpful.

Although I don't agree with any of the examples given in this thread so far, I don't doubt that someone might have a legitimate reason for doing this that I haven't thought of. But I really don't think CityDesk is the best mechanism for activating/deactivating recurring content.

Darren Collins
Sunday, February 03, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home