Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Save or Save and Close? - survey!

Quick question to CityDesk power users.

Do you like the "Save and Close" toolbar button? Or would you rather just have "Save" like other applications?

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, January 22, 2002

To us, fine as is = "Save and Close". CD is so reliable, its amazing :-)

Patrick

Patrick Thomas

Keep the save and close. It is refreshing comparing other software.

Jeroen Roeterd

I like it. One of the selling points for CD is that it makes things easy. Well I feel comfortable with "save and close", no need to wonder exactly what that one does.

And CD has been well behaved for me, I don't get any of the urges to save every 10 words throughout a document that I do with some other products.

If you are collecting suggestions for the future though, one thing I'd like that I haven't seen mentioned yet is the abilty to set headers (HTML header <h> tags). I imported an old CSS onto my site, which I've now converted to citydesk ( www.robertmoir.co.uk ) and I find that where I've used headers before and now I'm just "making some text big and bold" I don't quite get a consistant look. I know I could sort it out any one of a few ways, but ideally I could do with being able to set headers within the text editor.

Robert Moir

I don't mind the "Save and Close", but I'd like to also have a "Save" button next to it. I'm in the habit of saving documents regularly when Alt-Tabbing between multiple apps, and keep accidentally closing CityDesk articles. It's slightly annoying to have to click in the article window and hit Ctrl-S, or use the menus to save.

Darren Collins

How about a "Save As" too? I'm constantly closing CityDesk, copying & renaming a file as a backup, then reopening CityDesk.

Eric Chromick

I think "save and close" is refreshing too.  It's often just what I want to do.  I'm trying to get into the habit of Crtl-S'ing.  But if it isn't too much trouble or if it wouldn't clutter things up too much, it would be nice to have both "Save" and "Save and close."

I also vote for a "save as"  I'm in the habit of doing it in FrontPage to clone a weekly calendar page.

I've also wanted to clone a whole site without leaving CityDesk.  I find myself doing something risky and I'd like to try it first on "Copy of orginal site."

tk

Yes, automatic backup would be nice (created every time you start the program, for example . . .)

Maybe you could set an option "save last (x) versions".

CityDesk does tend to be a little super-committal with changes.

A.
Wednesday, January 23, 2002

I vote for a Save button in addition to the Save and Close button. Why choose when we can have them both? It would not take up a lot of real estate (just the disk icon, preferably at the extreme left), and I like to be able to save once in a while (and never got a habit of using keybord shortcuts).

A Save As menu item in the editor wouldn't hurt, but what I would like MUCH more is a Save As menu item at the Application level. It would enable you to make a copy of the whole site just as a backup, but also for how I work (I'm hopefully not alone on this). Let me explain. I often have a situation where I want to publish because some pages are ready (new or updated), yet others are not ready for publication. A Save As at the site level would enable me to publish from the resulting copy site after making the necessary changes, like simply deleting those elements not ready for publication.

Paul Iliano

I like a plain Save too. If for nothing else than to have a visual indication of whether or not the document is dirty!

But while on the topic, I could use a Save as... for _articles_, one that is essentially a "publish this article to [some filesystem location]"

Maury Markowitz

Save and Close is great! Other common "Save" and "Save As" features would be nice, but I love "Save and Close", especially because CityDesk is so stable.

Alan Armstrong
Thursday, January 24, 2002

How about...

Customizable toolbars so we can each have what we want? ;)

Brad Wilson
Thursday, January 24, 2002

It seems as though CD doesn't need a Save because it saves all the time - is this right?

On the other hand, if reviewers who don't "get it" are going to complain because there isn't a Save button, then maybe you should have one just so that the absense of it doesn't cause problems.

A "Backup" or "Save Copy As..." might be nice.

Colin Nicholls
Monday, January 28, 2002

Colin - they're talking about a Save button in the Article window, not the main CityDesk window.

Darren Collins
Monday, January 28, 2002

I like "Save and Close" to the point where I don't even think about it. It's just the way CityDesk behaves.

CityDesk is very seriuos about commiting changes directly to the DB. I haven't seen something act like this since MS Money. It was actually a while before I realized I wasn't saving when I quit out of CityDesk. I guess this allows multiple people to work on the same DB, and prevents you from having to load the whole multi MB site to RAM every time you load the site.

On this note, if CityDesk integrated with an RCS/CVS that would be great. I use Component Software RCS (as does someone else on this forum) and it integrates well with MS Office Apps. A simple RCS dropdown menu allows you to archive an article or retrieve an archive at any time. If CityDesk archived every file each time you saved it (plain text files only, no documents or images), it wouldn't take up much more space on the DB and allow you to undo horrendous errors ("Shit, I deleted all of 2001"). The kind people you'll hand this system over to might do.

How about it Joel? Instant archiving of all text-based documents, allowing infinite undos, and rolling the whole site back to any point in time.

Mark

Mark W
Wednesday, January 30, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home