Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

FR: "target" parameter for Links

Would be nice to be able to specify a "target=_blank" for example using "Insert -> Link" in articles instead of having to hand-code in HTML view - or am I missing something ?

Regards

Patrick

Patrick Thomas
Friday, January 18, 2002

Try not to open new windows if you can.

pb
Friday, January 18, 2002

I think it would very unwise not to open new windows
if you run a commercial site (except on most internal links
of course). These are absolutely necessary.

This has been spoken about a few threads down too...

Darren ANdrews
Saturday, January 19, 2002

Whatever one's personal opinion of using new windows for external links, I think it would be a good thing for a tool as CityDesk to have the option.
Such an option would not oblige anyone who does not want to to use it, but offers those who want to the ability to do so (and I would be one of them).

Paul Iliano
Saturday, January 19, 2002

Guys,

I have a solution! When you define an external. In the external link field add the target parameter as well.

for example: -

http://www.yahoo.com" target="_blank"

*note you only to add the 1 double quote at the end of url. CityDesk deals with the rest.

I've tested this in my test and it seems to work fine.

Darren Rowlands
Sunday, January 20, 2002

Darren, thanks very much for tthe tip. It works fine.
The only caveat is that when you go back into the Link dialog box, the extra "target=_blank" is gone, and when you save again, the link won't open in a new window any more.

Paul Iliano
Sunday, January 20, 2002

And what about 'target=_blank' feature in 'Extras' tab?
At the moment I'm not able to insert an external link opening in a new window from an element defined in 'Extras'.
Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!

Cristoforo Mione
Tuesday, January 22, 2002

These workarounds seem nice, but it really is something that should be addressed. It's literally a requirement where I work for external links to pop up into a new window.

Mark W
Wednesday, January 30, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home