Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Why the unneccessary closing tags?

Why does CityDesk add such things as a closing Paragraph tag - unless someone can correct me, I believe this is totally unneccessary and has no effect other than to take up more space!
I think the conversion to html needs to be a bit more intelligent - not the Microsoft Word '97 type!

Darren ANdrews
Thursday, January 17, 2002

Closing <P> tags is required in later versions of HTML (and, in XHTML, all tags must be closed, in the reverse order they were opened). Better get used to it. ;)

Brad Wilson
Thursday, January 17, 2002

Closing all tags is "required" to be standards compliant, I believe. Some browsers can be very fussy about displaying stuff that is even remotely "non standard".

If you don't want to bother when coding for yoursel in notepad and it works, thats fine, but I think it would be suicide for a commercial editor program to go around generating bad html as a matter of course!

Robert Moir
Friday, January 18, 2002

Well, I've learned something - obviously my HTML 4 education is out of date ;)

Thanks.

Darren ANdrews
Saturday, January 19, 2002

Speaking of which, when are you going to close all single tags, like <BR/>?

Mark W
Wednesday, January 30, 2002

I would like to be xhtml compliant for version 2.0. That would require a lot more work on our part in generating HTML. Right now we just ask internet explorer to give us a long HTML string. In the future I would like to walk the DOM ourselves and generate nice clean xhtml, but that's a non-trivial project.

Joel Spolsky
Friday, February 01, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home