Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Anchor ELEMENTS - HOW?

How do I format my hyperlinks in the editor? For example, how would I add the target="_blank" element inside of the opening anchor tag?

I must be stupid - can't work it out.

Darren ANdrews
Tuesday, January 15, 2002

Not sure you can within the WYSIWYG editor, but you can do the following in HTML view if you wish to set the same target for every link on a page:
<html>
<head>
<title>Whatever</title>
blah blah
<base target="content">
</head>
blah
</html>

The base target statement will set it for the whole page. Presumably for articles you'd want to set this on the html template you are using.

Robert Moir

In the HTML view, just change

<a href="foo.html>foo</a>

to

<a href="foo.html" target="_blank">foo</a>

Michael H. Pryor

Thank you Robert and Michael.

There is, however, no HTML view in the extras tab (and I will not have links in the actual articles).

If I set the page to open all links in a second browser (by use of the base feature) then how would I override that
for internal links on that page?).

Besides, I will be using affiliate links with scripting to change the appearance of the link on mouse over etc., if CityDesk cannot automate everything then it means manual intervention and that means I might as well do it
all manually (as far as the non-article parts of the submission are concerned).

It seems a strange thing to me, as any wise website owner would not want people to leave his website on an external link.

Darren ANdrews
Thursday, January 17, 2002

An example might be you have an affiliate link to amazon.com.  Just make a variable called AmazonAffiliate and make the value of the variable be
<a href="http://www.amazon.com" target="_blank">Go shopping at Amazon</a>

See View->Variables.

Then in the extra pane, all you have to type is {$.AmazonAffiliate$}

Michael H. Pryor
Thursday, January 17, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home