Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Bug with renaming html files

I just renamed the index.html file that's automatically created with a new site to index.html_old. And the contents of the file are no longer accessable. Double clicking on the entry in CityDesk results in nothing. When I rename it back to the original name, the contents are once again accessible. Anyone else see this?

Peter Kropf
Tuesday, January 15, 2002

On digging a bit deeper, this appears to be a side effect of how Windows uses file extensions to determine which application should be used to edit the file.

If I create a new HTML file called xyz.a, I again see the same problem. Double clicking causes nothing to happen. If I create a new HTML file called abc.py, double clicking on it brings up my python environment.

In both cases, CityDesk seems to be trying to follow how Windows thinks the file extentions are to be handled. Is this correct?

Peter Kropf

Yes, CityDesk behaves just like Windows in that regard.  Please see the options under "View->File Types" for more info.

Michael H. Pryor

I tried this with a file suffix of .a and made it work by adding a new file type to CityDesk.

You need to View-File types, add a new file type "a" and set it to open with the "built-in HTML editor"

TK

Yo. I completely missed the file types off the view menu. Thanks!

Peter Kropf

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home