Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Creating sites that annoy by default

The background colour is set, but not the foreground causing those with different defaults to have problems viewing the pages.  The actual city desk site and this message board apear fine. Your most interesting site www.joelonsoftware.com doesn't however as a neat demonstration of what I'm talking about.  Those created with the defaults of city desk don't either. 

Colin Newell
Saturday, January 12, 2002

Hi Colin,

I'm not sure I understand what your saying...
Let me rephrase it a bit and see if I'm understanding you correctly...

Do you mean that default CityDesk sites have the bgcolor in the body set (as does JoelOnSoftware) but they do not have the foreground text color set?

ie. the discussion board has text=#000000 bgColor=#ffffff attributes, but you're trying to tell us that we need to set the text attribute on our default CD site and also on JOS...

Michael H. Pryor

Yes, that's exactly it.  I'm sorry, I should have explained why that's a problem.  I would personally like to set my default background to black, and my text colour to some light colour in my browser.  This suites me because my eyes are pretty knackered and all that light seems to make my time at a monitor all the more painful.  Of course if you have the background set to white, and the text to a default I have that displayed in a light colour and hence cannot read it. 

Colin Newell

got it -- we'll fix it in CityDesk and I've already fixed it in Joel on Software.

Joel Spolsky

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home