Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Check out my real estate site

This is my first City Desk site. I chose CD because my client wants to update her listings herself and knows NOTHING about HTML.

Thanks to some excellent advice I received through this forum, this site came out exactly as I had hoped. It has custom templates that I made, so it doesn't look anything like any of the other CD sites I've seen.

The listing page is a browser sniffer. If the browser is IE5+ or NS6+ there's a redirect to another page that uses the CSS-float property to display the images across the page. If not, the redirect uses a different page that displays images in a vertical table.

I'm using a simple Cold Fusion mail script for the forms. I also made a frames page that takes the user to my client's horrible company site to display more listings but keeps a link back to her site on the top.

My client's really happy with it. Check it out at:
http://www.lakemonticelloproperties.com.

City Desk rocks! Comments are welcome.

Debra Weiss
Saturday, January 12, 2002

the URL is correct, but the period at the end of the sentence was included, which won't work...

the URL is

http://www.lakemonticelloproperties.com

Debra Weiss

Beautiful stuff!

Joel Spolsky

Excellent!  I love it!  Let us know how Patsy likes using CityDesk :-)

Michael H. Pryor

Really nice work. Congratulations!

Paul Iliano
Sunday, January 13, 2002

Whoa, thats kicking some bootay. Looks real nice, and inspires me to get my finger out and get on with my site.

Like you say, CityDesk is ideal for people who don't want to play with HTML and just want to update their content. From what I've found with it so far, I think it kicks ass too!

Robert Moir
Sunday, January 13, 2002

The big question is: Will Patsy actually use CityDesk herself?  Or, was that ever part of the plan?

TK
Sunday, January 13, 2002

Well, Patsy has managed to create her first listing herself,  but it's a mess.  Remember, she knows SQUAT about html, and just putting a border around the picture is sort of big deal for her because she has to go into HTML view and she thinks the code "looks like gobbledygook."

I've explained to her how she just changes "border=0" to a "1", but she couldn't seem to figure that out when she did it herself. She also couldn't figure out how to move her smaller pictures under her large image. She thinks she should just be able to click on the images, hold down her mouse and move them around the page.

I don't think she previewed everything first before she published, either. Also, she's on AOL and the browser window doesn't open full screen and she's forgetting to maximize it.

I'm either going to have to make her specific templates for different property layouts, or teach her a little more about HTML. She's not dumb or anything, just a little computer phobic in general. She'll get it eventually, I'm sure!

Debra Weiss
Sunday, January 13, 2002

You could get the borders automatically with CSS:

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/citydesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=1214&ixReplies=4

then she wouldn't have to go into HTML mode (I hope).

Joel Spolsky
Monday, January 14, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home