Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Preventing articles in draft stage to be published

Challenge: I’m writing texts which are still in a draft stage, not ready to be published. How can I prevent them from being published. Any suggestion to improve following solutions I see, or a better solution?

Ideal solution: a field “Publish yes/no” in Properties, as in FrontPage and others. Problem: it’s not there (yet) => next release?

Solution 1: Store article with a keyword (like Draft) which is used to exclude the article from any links. Problem: they get published anyway, and could inadvertently end up in a search engine; difficult to keep track which articles are still drafts and which not.

Solution 2: Use the field “Never publish after” and input some date in the past. Problem: not really meant for this use, and difficult to find them easily back once you have lots of articles.

Solution 3: Create two databases, Production and Draft, and move the article from Draft to Production when it’s ready to be published. Problem: it seems not possible to move an article from one database to another. Importing can only from a html file or a Windows folder, and dragging from database 1 to database 2 does not work (+ it’s not easy to open 2 databases at once since opening a database closes the open one). This is my preferred solution, but how can I move an article from database 1 to 2? Dragging would be most intuitive.

Many thanks in advance.

Paul Iliano
Thursday, January 10, 2002

This might work for you:

Put this condition in your scripts:

(not(keyword_contains "draft"))

If you want to find all of your drafts, where ever they are, create another "draft" article (put "draft" in the keyword) somewhere that contains a script that lists all your drafts by including the condition:

(keyword_contains "draft")

Seems like that would keep all your drafts from publishing and give you a page (when you previewed) of all your drafts.

Terry Kearns

Terry's suggestion is good but it still won't stop your articles from being published.  They will be published then, just not linked to from anywhere.

The only way to keep them from being published is to play with the publish before/ publish after dates.

Michael H. Pryor

Oh yeah I didn't think of that  But maybe publishing hidden drafts can be seen a good thing.  If you want to show your drafts to some folks while you're working on it, send them the URL.  But then of course you have to figure out what the URL is. If you don't have a published link to it, that might be hard.  So, I guess you need to put the links on another hidden page for which you know the URL: "hiddendrafts.html" or something.  I think I'm going in circles now.

Terry Kearns

Another way to do it maybe to have different audiences.

One audience could be internal reviewers and the other could be everyone.

Does that work?

Eugene Chan

Audiences is a nice way to do it...

Joel Spolsky

I tried the suggestion of creating separate audiences  (Public and Private), and it works absolutely as I needed.

Via the Publishing Locations, you have total control over whether these 'draft' articles are published or not, or even to which separate server or folder for evaluation by others.

Thanks for the tip!

Paul Iliano
Sunday, January 13, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home