Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Pricing?

Has any thought been given to pricing yet?  I realize you've still got a month or two to hammer it out, but even knowing the number of digits in the price would help.  Or perhaps an estimated price range?

If not, do you have a date when this info will be released? 

I'm guessing I'm not the only one who will need this info to justify dedicating more than a few hours to evaluating City Desk at work...

Gary Pupurs
Tuesday, October 16, 2001

It will be priced per-user like other shrinkwrapped desktop software (word processors, desktop publishing packages, etc.). There will probably be some kind of volume discounts.

In other words: definitely 3 digits.

Joel Spolsky

I hope the first digit won't be too high... ;-)

Vincent Benard

Me too. UserLand Frontier is overpriced.

Joel Spolsky

From my own personal experience, individual users won't bear a price much more than $100 for a product such as this. Ironically, most companies won't buy a product of this nature if it is priced under $500 (due to the price vs. quality perception issue). This poses an interesting conundrum for you guys.

My advice would be to have a personal edition that runs using the existing MSAccess DB engine, while offering a corporate edition that feeds off of SQL Server. Perhaps you can mix in some content approval features to entice the small corporate crowd.

If you don't offer multiple versions, you'll be stuck with high sales of a low cost product, or low sales of a high cost product.

BTW - As beta testers, do we get some kind of discount on the production version? I wouldn't go so far as to request a free copy (hey, you guys gotta eat), but some sort of discount is probably appropriate. I plan to invest a lot of time building a few sites using the CityDesk product (meaning lots of feedback for you).

Jonathan Goodyear (aka angryCoder)

angryCoder writes:
"BTW - As beta testers, do we get some kind of discount on the production version? "

Yes, definitely.  Discounts for beta testers.  We appreciate all of your comments and feedback and it *really* helps us out and we will show our appreciation in more ways than one, I'm sure.

Michael Pryor

I am excited to hear that there will be discounts for beta testers, since I think this could really help my life be better and I work for a school - no money.

In that vein, are you planning educational discounts?  I'd be happy to proselytize in the various educational technologist groups I'm in...  (Of course, I'll probably do that anyway.)

Michelle Friend Hutton
Wednesday, October 24, 2001

I too am looking for solutions for schools as I currently maintain a site for my daughter's school, using Radio Userland, and would like for the staff to be able to maintain it themselves.

Beyond pricing, the issue I would have with CD is the school system is still Mac based (and they may actually have a few Apple II's).  I think they have one PC which is used to talk to a mainframe somewhere, and access to that one PC is restricted.

Perhaps someday RealBasic will be a possible solution for porting VB apps to the Mac without requiring as many resources.

Rod

Rod Kratochwill
Thursday, October 25, 2001

As parent volunteer who helps with a high school website, I also think CityDesk might have real value at our school, partularly for publishing student newspapers, scholarship announcements, sports reports, etc.

With the firewall situation, FTP from within the school network network is really tough.  But, CityDesk would be excellent for the PTA, or for students who want to publish at home.

If you help with a school webiste, please email me.  I'd enjoy corresponding with you.

Terry Kearns
Thursday, October 25, 2001

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home