Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

"Do not publish" files

I set the flag to prevent the article from being published until the middle of next year. As a result, it doesn't show up in the index page. But the HTML version of the article is still created, especially when I preview it. That's a problem though, because I'm using CityDesk to create an article that shouldn't appear on the site in any form until it has been been printed in the magazine I'm writing it for.

So, three questions:
  1. If it appears in the directory, but isn't linked anywhere,
      can it still be found by search engines? (If so, CityDesk
      just became a little less useful.)

2. Is there anything I have to do make sure that the ISP's
      directory page can't be accessed? I use a Unix-based
      ISP (DreamHost). (I'm not sure if directory-reading is
      an ISP variable, an OS variable, or a site-specific
      variable that I need to set.)

3. Doesn't it make sense to create preview versions of
    "do not publish" articles in the systems TEMP directory,
    rather than in the target directory for the weblog?

Eruc Armstrong
Thursday, December 16, 2004

I use Dreamhost, I don't know how they keep folks out of web directories but I can't access them without FTP. Write them and ask if there is any risk.

Presuming that folks can't access your raw directories I don't think a search engine will try to guess your unlinked URL's.  I think you are safe.

tk

First off, there's something awry here.  When I do the same thing (setting any article to 'never publish before'), it doesn't get uploaded to the site.  Are you just seeing the html for it in your preview/local copy version, or in your actual web directory?

To be safe with the search engines not finding something, put a 'robots.txt' file in the root of your website dir, and forbid indexing of that particular file.  I believe dreamhost has directory indexing disabled by default.

Ultimately, though, if the article in question is actually being generated and uploaded (but not linked), I wouldn't feel particularly secure in its not being found.  If you set its template to 'none,' then you can be sure it won't be uploaded in any way.

But again, CD *shouldn't* be uploading it (even in an unlinked state) if it isn't due to be published yet.

http://www.searchengineworld.com/robots/robots_tutorial.htm
The above link is a good robots.txt guide, if you're unfamiliar.

g

Setting the template to 'none' does not prevent it from being published. Just checked it.

Rogn.
http://l4a.info

Rognvaldr

Maybe I'm confused about "setting" a flag. Did you just set the "never publish before" field.

tk

In what manner is a document with a template of 'none' being published?  It won't be generated/uploaded as a stand-alone document (ie, in your /Articles folder on your site).  It will be published as part of a loop or as an include.  I should have made that clearer in my post, my bad.

Re: the original poster, I think there's a crossed wire here somewhere.  I did a few different configurations of setting a file to 'never publish before,' and I was unable to find an instance in which it was actually published, either as a stand alone, as part of a loop, or as an include.  Are you sure you set it to 'never publish before' and not 'never publish after,' and similarly, are you sure you set the date correctly?

I've encountered my share of (ahem) 'unexpected behaviors' in CD, but the publish before/after dates function has always been reliable for me.

g
Friday, December 17, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home