Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Special CityDesk edition in January magazines

Happy to announce that several German computer magazines will feature the free CityDesk Starter Edition on their cover-CDs. Beginning of January it will be PCgo! and Internet Magazin including our free JUUKA Wizard (website template).

And at the end of January, there will be an extra Special Edition of CityDesk Starter Edition (surprise!, no not CD3 :-) plus an exclusive new (free) CityDesk Wizard (named KUOPIO) for Internet Intern magazine's cover-CD. Plus a multipage Workshop on how to use CityDesk. For our german-speaking users...

Patrick Thomas
http://www.citydeskwizards.com

Patrick Thomas
Monday, December 13, 2004

BTW, thank you to Joel who made this possible, especially the Internet Intern "deal"...

Patrick

Patrick Thomas

thank you to you, from joel...

dissatisfied user

Not good enough. Not even close.

Only CD3 will make up for Joels statements and lack of customer care.

Anonymous, but no coward

Patrick,

You are developing CD now?

Bob Bloom

Bob, no we are not developing CD ;-)

Thank you for your encouragement in the other thread on CDDBScripter. The current DLL does not support BLOB fields. We contacted the author (Don) but no reply yet.

The good news: what we can do is move the DLL loading code out of the CDDBScripter exe so you can load any other DLL which might fit...

...and even better, we could provide a way for loading ActiveX components in your scripts, so you would have even more possibilities to manipulate your CityDesk database files.

CDDBScripter would truly become a kind of "remote control" to CityDesk. Hope to find the time before christmas...

Regards

Patrick Thomas
http://www.citydeskwizards.com

Patrick Thomas
Tuesday, December 14, 2004

With all due respect to the excellent work done by Telepark and others, if there is any future to CityDesk it must less and not more dependent on Microsoft technology.

Scott McDonald
Tuesday, December 14, 2004

I don't understand the comment by Scott, are you saying Microsoft doesn't have the proper  technology to build web sites? To me Frontpage is the friendliest html editing software around.

Ron Lane
Wednesday, December 15, 2004

I think he means that in CityDesk, the html editor is a Microsoft product, and it sucks.  Changing between views often garbles the html code to the point things dont work.  Workarounds must be used, or never ever switch modes.  Yet, even though it is broke, FogCreek as really no way to fix it, or force MS to fix it too. 

I think that maybe there are smaller companies, that are more responsive to these types of problems, that have tools that would work. 

Thats what I understood from having read past posting a while back.  Haven't really been here in a while, but I see nothing really has changed.  :)

Jeff Kolker

I think the problem is Joel wanted it to produce valid xhtml and it just doesn't work right, if that were turned off the editor would work as normal, not really a Microsoft problem but caused by Fog Creek Software.

I don't use it anyway, I paste text into the forms and let css handle it from there.

Ron Lane

I don't understand this thread. I switch back and forth between HTML and Normal view all the time--mostly to insert H-level heads. I've never noticed a problem, and I've been witing a 4500 word article.

Eruc Armstrong
Thursday, December 16, 2004

Eric,

Have you ever (accidentally) switched back and forth while working on your template?

Try it. Great fun, that is if you're into that kind of thing.

Rogn.
http://l4a.info

Rognvaldr

I agree with Eruc. I switch back and forth between HTML and Normal view all the time when I'm working on articles. It's necessary if you want to create decent web pages, since you can't create h1, h2, etc tags in Normal view.

I've never had a problem with HTML/Normal switching messing up an article. But then, I don't try to put a lot of crazy HTML markup in my articles - they're literally just articles, with a few pictures and minimal formatting.

Most of the problems I've seen in these forums with HTML/Normal switching happen when people are putting complex HTML (especially with CD variables inside tags), JavaScript, PHP, etc into their articles. Those things are best left in templates or variables if at all possible.

That said, I never use Normal view when editing templates. It's basically useless in that case.

Darren Collins

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the article editor works fine if you think of it as a text editor that gives you access to the HTML for minor tweaking, rather than thinking of it as a full-fledged WYSIWYG HTML editor like FrontPage or DreamWeaver.

Darren Collins

Same thing with me...never had an issue with Normal/HTML view switching. Using Normal View for article content all the time.

If you ever have a problem with switching, your code does not belong in the article in the first place - so rather improve on what you put where. PHP, complex HTML or Javascript never should be intermixed with article content. Thats what variables, templates, etc...are there for, IMHO. Additionally, if you want to use articles as code repositories, you could do so and work with those articles purely in HTML view (CityDesk remembers on a per article basis whether to open up in Normal or HTML view). No need to switch. There is an issue with Normal View in templates, thats correct - this functionality is utterly useless and "dangerous". Well, don't do it. Edit your templates in HTML view, always.

The whole thing is a complete non-issue...

-
Friday, December 17, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home