Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Metatags

I'd like to be able to insert metatag keywords and descriptions on a per-page or per-folder basis. I tried using the "keywords" field (it seemed logical), but ran into a couple problems - I can't get valid HTML out of the keyword variable and the field length isn't great enough to let me fit all my text in.

If the "extra" fields are large enough, I could use one for keywords & the other for descriptions, but I still need help getting good HTML out of the field.

Eric Chromick
Tuesday, January 08, 2002

Just put your keywords in the keyword field, for example

KeyWords: Fog Creek, CityDesk, CMS, Joel, Software

Then in the template for the articles, swith to HTML view and write

<META name="description" content="{$.headline$}">
<META name="keywords" content="{$.keywords$}">

Michael H. Pryor

Good grief! That's the only thing I didn't try. Thanks!

Eric Chromick

This brings up an (potentially) interesting topic. Since there are a number of these sorts of overlapping CD vs. HTML field types - keywords vs. keywords, title vs. TITLE, headline vs. description, etc - I think it would be nice to have another tab for the standard ones.

Often these would "overlap", but CD already has cases where it does the right thing there. For instance, when I make a new article it magically gets the right title. Likewise the HTML TITLE and author would also get set, but be able to be overriden if they wanted to.

That would also help people make better web sites. Instead of never even knowing about the things they should put in there, they'll do a "hey, what's this tab for?" and the web gets a little tiny bit better.

Maury Markowitz

Learn more about Metatags

@ http://discuss.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=3121&ixReplies=6

Bob (RJ) Burkhart
Sunday, August 25, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home