Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Figuring out better ways for writing/authoring

I’m learning CityDesk and I like it very much for its easy content management features. Great stuff!

As a writer though, I’m a bit frustrated with CityDesk’s writing/authoring capabilities. I’m trying to find better ways to use CityDesk for authoring, and have following questions, with many thanks in advance to those willing to provide some input!

1. The ideal would be to be able to use the editor of choice for writing/editing articles, as can be done for html files. The Help file says “You can edit any kind of file using external editors except articles. Articles have extra properties and therefore must always be edited with the built-in editor.” It is however just this one field, the article body, that needs a better editor. Does anybody know of a better way than copy/pasting to use Word (or FrontPage, or another editor) to write the body field for CityDesk articles?

2. How can I change the font used in the CityDesk editor? There is a range of formatting buttons, but I can’t figure out how to change the font to write in. I know the font used for publishing will come from the template. I just would like to change the font I write in to the font I like most for that task (Verdana).

3. Is there a way to create links in the CityDesk editor that open in a new browser window, without having to learn html and doing it in the html view?

4. How can I add notes/comments? As a writer, I need a way to keep comments or notes for myself on the article I’m writing (like “still have to check some more sources on this statement”). In Word, I use the Comments feature. In FrontPage, there is a Comments feature too. In CityDesk, I started using the Extra 2 field, but the problem is it’s not easy to see which note is meant for which paragraph or section of the text. Any suggestions for a better way to keep notes/comments?

Thanks again.

Paul Iliano
Tuesday, January 08, 2002

Thanks for all the suggestions. We'll take them into consideration for the next version.

A trick to change the font family used for editing articles is as follows:

Run Internet Explorer
Choose Tools >> Internet Options
Click Fonts
Change the Web Page Font

This will also change the font shown when you go to web pages which do not specify their own font (a vanishingly rare breed), and it will change the main article font in CityDesk. I know, I know, CityDesk should have its own option! ;)

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, January 08, 2002

Thanks Joel.

I'm able to change the font now, but I would like to change the default size of my new font in articles. Is there a way to do that?

I suppose the other 3 points I mentioned will have to wait?

Paul Iliano
Wednesday, January 09, 2002

I believe (but I'm not 100% sure) that the text size will just copy IE's "View > Text Size" setting.

We've added the other things to our feature list. Many thanks for the feedback.

Joel Spolsky
Wednesday, January 09, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home