Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Database

Okay i have read many things here about PHP. I am confused. I want to build a database that will reside on the web server. I want to access it from web pages. Hopefully done in citydesk. I like the site I have done in CD. I have 20 years Raltional Database dev.  But I have never done a web based database before. I am looking for advise on the fastest dev time. And the pitfals.
Thank you for your help in advance.

Joe Knapp
Saturday, December 04, 2004

Anybody used PHP ?

Joe Knapp
Monday, December 06, 2004

I'm not the person to ask but I did use John Conners weblog template that uses PHP. It might interest you:

http://www.johnsadventures.com/backend/CommentsSystemTemplate/AWeblogWithComments.html

There are plenty of PHP topics in this forum.

tk

I do my sites with cd, xthml, css and php, mySQL.  It works together well.

One thing, since PHP uses $ alot, you sometimes run into weird little issues with CD scripting.  But they are pretty easy to figure out.

I have a WAMP package called easyPHP installed on a local machine.  IT has Apache, mySQL and PHP all configured. Set up is easy (duh!). 

joel goldstick

If you're doing PHP, use MySQL. I don't know who you're hosting with, but most hosts will have it pre-configured for most medium level accounts.

www.MarkTAW.com

That helps alot. Thank you.

Joe Knapp

I only use php occasionally but try to keep the php code in a php file rather than a CityDesk article - and then use a php include in the CityDesk article to use the php file. Mainly that's to limit accidents when the article's content is edited.

For a couple of <FORM ACTION=etc> again the file processing the form submit is a php file rather than a CityDesk article and then I redirect the user to another CityDesk article [e.g. header("location: PTMFOG0000000090"); ] - so I might have 3 articles and 1 php file to process my form:

article-1-has-a-form
  article-2-thanks-form-submitted-ok
  article-3--sorry-form-failed
  form-processing.php

Again, I do this so that editing what's displayed on "thanks - form submitted ok" isn't botched up because the editor (human or otherwise) asks "what's with all these meaningless words and squiggles?"

You can refer to CD magic names in the php files - just remember to add the .php extension (View | File Types)

Dan
Tuesday, December 07, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home