Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

deprecated methods should change

I am just learning to use CityDesk, but the biggest drawback, imo, is that the "customer" content contribution part of it has them use deprecated tags like  font  and "less-than-semantic" methods for markup.

Or maybe I am completely missing something?

Where does the end-user/contributor actually markup content like  h1  h2 , etc rather than just color text and make it bigger?

All my sites use css for appearance, including layout. I think it blows that this effort is trashed by the actual contribution of the end user... if there's a way around this that I can learn and teach to the end user, could someone please tell me?

Thanks!

DC
Sunday, November 21, 2004

You aren't missing anything. These are much requested features.

tk

Once upon a time there was a company called FogCreek. They made Citydesk 1.0. People asked for H1, H2, etc. Nothing happened. 1 year passed. Then came Citydesk 2.0. People asked for H1, H2, etc. Nothing happened. Who knows what the future will bring.

PeterM

You can set up HTML Tidy to run on your site before it is published.

It is smart enough to covert the font size tags to their corresponding h tags.  (usually)

There is a CityDesk addon called RTidy that should do what you want.  You could also make a batch file to handle it.  I wrote about how to do that on this board a while back.

Good luck!

jetexas

Yes, you can use to HTMLTidy to fix things on the backend.  But it's a kludge, doesn't allow you to preview things like CSS applied to tags, etc. 

This was a major problem with 1.0.  It is a basic need that was much requested.  Why was it ignored in 2.0 and how can we know if it 3.0, if there is a 3.0, addresses it?

David Burch
Monday, November 22, 2004

yes, I agree... this should be a NATIVE function in CityDesk. Everyone knows that standards and semantic meaning is a real focus these days in web development--that's why I use CSS and strive to create layouts that don't even require classes--I believe in ID'ing regions and using contextual selector rules, thus really need the headings and other block elements to be appropriate.

Moreover, I'd like to encourage my clients to understand that they don't and SHOULDN'T adjust the "appearance" of the site--it ISN'T  about what "they" like--it's about consistency of appearance, understandable and logical organization of content and sematically correct markup--FOR THEIR READERS.

and tags like underline, italic, bold and such are just deprecated, as are html attributes for alignment and appearance.

If CityDesk wants to be considered a modern web development tool, FogCreek should make this priority number one!

My opinion, sure, but I think it is one a lot of folks share.

DC
Tuesday, November 23, 2004

I doubt 3.0 exists. Joel let slip that it should be out by the end of the year.... last year. Not only is CityDesk 3 a year late, but it's a year late based on something like a six month delivery schedule.

CityDesk's profitability has flatlined, and nothing short of a complete re-invisioning of the product could change that. Desktop CM is out.

www.MarkTAW.com
Wednesday, December 08, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home