Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Using articles not published in a published site

Hi,

I'm having a bit of trouble here. I believe what I need can't be done that way, so I'm open to suggestions.

What I do is I have a folder which holds a few articles that define strings that are to be used in more than one place. These articles are set for a "Private" audience, whose files aren't published.

Then, I use variables to include the contents of those articles inside a template, for example, but since the articles aren't being published, they don't get included in the template either.

I could simply set everything to publish and then delete the extra files that I don't need, but I sure hope there's a better alternative.

By the way, I use the articles via variables for two reasons:
* By using articles I can translate the strings to anything I want.
* By using variables I don't have to include the file everytime I need it, and if I change it's name or location, I only have to change the variable, not each include.

Thanks in advance.

Ivan V.
Wednesday, November 17, 2004

I think this will help you:
http://citydesk.pool-room.com/ContentFragments.html

I created a template named Blank, which is assigned to my dummy articles. So when published, they are just empty files (there's no way to stop the files from being created, though). But because they are published, they will be included in your other articles that reference them.

Hope this helps.

Darren Collins
Thursday, November 18, 2004

Oh, that's a great alternative.

I was going to just put every file on the same folder, so I could easily delete everything after publication (although not very pretty), but your idea is much better.

Now I can put a special tag into the "blank" template and use an after publication script to delete every file with that tag!

Thanks a lot.

Ivan V.

I just realized CityDesk doesn't publish empty files! Yipee!

Ivan V.

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home