Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

New CityDesk Forum Screensaver 2

We uploaded a new version of the free CityDesk Forum screensaver. The background image is now fixed and you can go back a page with the new "previous" button.

http://www.citydeskwizards.com/bin/cdsaver2.zip

Suggestions for alternative background screens most welcome :-)

Patrick Thomas
http//www.citydeskwizards.com

Patrick Thomas
Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Re: Suggestions for alternative background screens most welcome :-)

I am not sure if it's a good idea for a screensaver, or if it is even possible, but what I would like is to see 1 view from the window of every person that visits this forum. Maybe in a sort of slideshow.

Ruud van Soest
Thursday, November 11, 2004

> 1 view from the window of every person

Sorry, I don't follow...can you explain it again ? Thank you.

Regards

Patrick

Patrick Thomas

Well, nevermind... stupid idea anyway, I guess. Just curiosity, we are talking and reacting on each other, from all over the world, Moscow, San Diego, Rio, Amsterdam, Berlin... just curious to see something more of it. Picture of the view from their room. Forget it.

Ruud van Soest

Ruud, Not a dumb thought. One day in the not-too-distant future just such a thing will be ubiquitous.

George Illes
Friday, November 12, 2004

Great idea. The beauty is that as it opens a dedicated webpage the screensaver can be modified or redesigned at any time by simply changing the page on the server. Could be a frame-based page with webcams from around the world for example. Any ideas on where to find reliable webcams on the net and which cities to show ?

Could also be a slideshow of CD developers worldwide :-)

Patrick

Patrick Thomas
Saturday, November 13, 2004

Thank god, not stupid after all ;-)

I was not thinking of something futuristic, or even webcams - nice idea, though many camviews from one spot are not varied enough to be interesting. For me something more traditional would be sufficient, a slideshow of stills.

I am not sure how it could best be done - CD users sending a picture, or a webadress with a picture to a central place, or inserting it themselves in an on-line database that is linked to from the screensaver.

Re: Could also be a slideshow of CD developers worldwide :-)

That was exactly the idea: the screensaver could be called "The world of CityDesk". If database driven, it would maintain and refresh itself, so it would become the dynamic world of CityDesk.

Then of course, there is some work upfront... (ahead? to be done first)

Ruud van Soest
Wednesday, November 17, 2004

How about a database of images where CityDesk users are allowed to upload the view from their window, with a simple PHP script or something to build a photo album, random view, etc.?

David Burch
Wednesday, November 17, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home