Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Using CityDesk with SQL Server backend

I'm looking for opinions on the following (especially from Fogcreek people).

What would you say if I said I was going to import a CityDesk database into SQL Server and then acces it throught an Access databse which I created (as a blank database) and then used "Link Tables" to make it "impersonate" a CityDesk database?

Would this be a "bad thing"?

The reason is that I am wanting to have multiple people updating translations of a web site, but they do not have acces to our LAN and we don't want to use RDP/VNC/etc.
So I thought we could give them "real" CityDesk databases, and when they send them back to us I would set up a DTS package that would pull out the appropriate translation and insert it into the SQL Server based database which would then be used to generate the database.

Ian Fraser
Tuesday, November 02, 2004

CityDesk is an Access database. Is the detour over SQL Server really necessary? If your translators are sending their file to you, couldn't you just do some synchronisation between the central file and the distributed ones directly?

Alternatively - if you can live with decentralized management - you could make language folders on your website and create a location for a language folder in each of the distributed CD files and have the translators themselves upload their translations to the website-folder. You need a way to send them the texts that have to be translated of course. After publishing they send you their copy of CD for a central backup. I guess you could automate that somehow.

Ruud van Soest
Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Ian, have you tried migrating CD into a SQL Server database?

I think I'm going to give it a go to see if I can share a database with a remote contributor. Any experiences be greatly appreciated.

Dan
Friday, November 19, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home