Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Picture with text wrap in teaser...

When I added a small image on the left with text wrapped down the right, when I published it the teaser for the next item was also wrapped down the side of the previous image.

Also:

1. Is there any way to alter the image properties (other than modifying the HTML) after it has been inserted?

2. I assume tables is on the to-do list...

Peter Elliot
Monday, October 15, 2001

Yeah, that's what text wrap means :) But if you want to prevent it, there's an HTML tag that will fix it. In your index.html file, in HTML view, put <BR clear="all"> after the teaser.

Unfortunately once you've inserted an image, the only way to alter its properties is in HTML View. If that drives you crazy, you can delete it an re-insert it.

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, October 16, 2001

I think there is an issue with the export feature if this <br> needs to be added to each teaser to prevent this.

The function of the software is to generate individual items. I shouldn't need to know how the previous one was created to add a new one without being modified without my knowing by someone elses teaser...

Regards,
PJE

Peter Elliot.

I think that what Joel meant was to put the <BR clear="all"> in your template file. That way, it automatically gets inserted in between each teaser...You wouldn't want the compiler to do this for you, because it would limit the product (in the odd case that you didn't want this behavior). It is important to remember that that your layout should be done in your template files. The article files should be used mostly for the content itself.

Jonathan Goodyear (aka angryCoder)

Jonathan is right on the money...

Ideally all the look and feel for your pages should be in the template.  The article itself should just be text.  Think like you're writing a news story and you are a reporter who doesn't know HTML.  The "designer" comes in, puts CityDesk into Designer mode, makes the whizbang templates.  The reporter comes in and uses CityDesk in non-designer mode and just creates new stories (they don't even have to know what the story will look like, just that they make sure to add the relevant data to the article).

I know someone is going to mention this also so I'll beat them to the punch.  The fields for the article (headline, extra, teaser, etc.) would be cool if they were generated by a DTD of some sort, so the designer could actually make new fields on the fly.  We are planning this for the future (maybe way future :-) For now, keep it simple. That's the motto.

Michael Pryor

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home