Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Site is different in firefox from Ie

Hi there, I've developed a site www.neppo.org . When opened in firefox the images disappear, instead of the images only the alt-texts will be shown.
Finally , there's a blue edge across the site in Firefox.

Question1:
-does anybody know how to keep citydesk interoperatable between IE and Firefox?
Question 2:
- how can I get rid of the nasty big black heading above my site?? I'm using the non-profit template and don't  like to edit all the generated files in dreamweaver, otherwise a cms would be useless.

Thanks

Johan

Johan
Saturday, October 23, 2004

Johan,

Your images aren't showing up in IE either. The placeholders show but that's all.

The blue "border" you are getting (I'm sure) is a BG color, I think it's the one assigned to <body> ~ haven't looked it up.

http://www.neppo.org/
(added because you're link didn't come out)

PNII

PNII

Yep,  bgColor="#000ab0" is definitely Blue. IE & FF are showing your table differently. FF allows the Blue Body color you show around the edges - table is being rendered smaller (?). Hmmm, you're setting your table width to 100% ... a place to start at any rate.

PNII

When this happens to me I do this to my HTML

http://validator.w3.org/

and this to my stylesheets:

http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

These have always helped me.

tk

Thanks for the help. Css validation tells me there are 16 errors. There's a problem with editing the template CSS,  it uses citydesk scripting, so the errors occur when the citydesk script produces HTML. I didn't change anything in the citydesk script, looks like the script doesn't manage to produce W3c compliant HTML code....

Í'm working on HTML validation by now. In contrary with user PNI, the site shows pictures within my IE (6.02), a picture above the menu and a picture above the sidebar.

With kind regards,

Johan

Johan
Sunday, October 24, 2004

I've published the original non-profit site to the following url
http://www.neppo.org/nonprof/

In here, the picture (the angel-guy) is shown in both IE and Firefox. I'm looking after the way I included pictures,  the error might be caused by inserting pictures in a faulty way.

will hear from me again
Johan

Johan
Sunday, October 24, 2004

Ok, now both firefoxV1.0 and IE6.02 show the pictures (the logo and socrates).
There's still a layout difference between both browsers.

The on-line problem was caused because I altered the homelogo variable into the picture I needed.

I can't find a reference to the homelogo script in the menu article, probably it's hard-coded. It would be nice if I could replace the homelogo with the socrates cartoon, in that way it would look nicer.

The difference of layout between firefox and IE still errs me

Johan

Johan
Sunday, October 24, 2004

Hmm, I'm getting the graphics now on both IE and FF. I still say FF is rendering your table incorrectly (<100%) ~ there may be a formatting error somewhere causing it. I had a look at the CSS ... nothing jumped out at me.

PNII

PNII
Sunday, October 24, 2004

--------
"Thanks for the help. Css validation tells me there are 16 errors. There's a problem with editing the template CSS,  it uses citydesk scripting, so the errors occur when the citydesk script produces HTML. I didn't change anything in the citydesk script, looks like the script doesn't manage to produce W3c compliant HTML code...."
---------

CD Script doesn't produce html, it only uses the html that is already either in a template or an article.

Ron Lane
Sunday, October 24, 2004

I'm quite satisfied with the results. The Citydesk tool really rocks, no on-line article-editing making it a lot quicker.
The scripting really adds power to the HTML coding.

I only need to check out the layout difference in firefox, might be caused because it's a template of an earlier version..? The blue borders will probably be editable within the variables.

If I found out why it happened i'll post it

cheerio,
Johan

Johan
Monday, October 25, 2004

different browsers have different defaults for margins and padding.  eric meyer wrote about this recently.  check out meyerweb.com

It may be that the body tag has padding in one browser and not another.  set this explicitely to 0. 

good luck

joel goldstick
Tuesday, October 26, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home