Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Can I rename the Index.html file

I want to use CityDesk for a section of a web site, but not for the main page.  I want to be able to get to the CityDesk index.html page from another index.html on my site.

In examining the forums, I see that perhaps the redirect could be useful, but I could be confused about how this works.  As I understand the redict will auto send a user to another page, using the Magic name.  That works fine and I have been able to send myself directly to articles that way.

However, the feature I like in the CityDesk main page (aka index.html) is that it has the directory listing to all my sub articles.

I have copied this code to an articel and have put a redirect in my index.html to this article's Magic name and that works.  But I still need the index.html for the redirect.

So Question:

If I were to publish this site, and not copy up the Citydesk index.html, but instead put in a URL to this article page (the one with the index code copied across so articles show up) do I use the Magic name or another name?

Sorry for this convolution, but I am trying to get my fat head around this...
Many thanks

Chris

Christopher Reichert
Saturday, January 05, 2002

Since you won't be maintaining the "main" page for that directory in CityDesk, then you cannot use the "magic" name (that's the one that starts with "PTMFOG"). Instead, once you publish the CityDesk web, an external filename is assigned to each of the articles (these will be "fog0000000000.html" style names). Find out what the external filename is for your "article list" article, and link with that external filename from your main page.

Brad Wilson

I think I get that...to put it in my words (always a sure way to reveal confusion or otherwise..)

I copy the Index.html code (which gives me my article listings into a sub article)
I then publish. which gives me a fogxxx.html file
I then go back up a level to my page which will link to this fogxxx.html page and put in a link to it.

Easy.

But how to do I stop my article main page from showing up as an article which just loops back to itself?

Thanks again

Chris

Christopher Reichert

The easiest way is to put a keyword on that "archive" page, and then in your selection use a not clause for that keyword. So, let's say you pick the keyword of "my_archive" and put that in your keywords for the archive page. Your selection might look like this:

{$ foreach x in (not (keyword_contains "my_archive"))SortDescendBy .fileddate $}

Brad Wilson

Excellent, thanks very much!

I'm off to my next page setup challenge!!

Christopher Reichert
Monday, January 07, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home