Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Feature Request

I need the ability to create jalbum-like web sites using CityDesk.  For example: I would like the ability to link my articles geographically (to a map) like jalbum created this site:
http://agahd.free.fr/JAlbum/PositionMap/examples/Goelo/index.html

David Burch
Monday, October 11, 2004

BTW: see the best I have been able to do with the current version of CD at http://southernnewmexico.com

David Burch
Monday, October 11, 2004

While I'm dreaming, I would also like Topic Maps ala topicmaps.org.

David Burch
Monday, October 11, 2004

jalbum did that? I like jalbum, but I don't think it can do that - look at a map and somehow correlate it to an image.

And if it can, why not just use jalbum?

www.MarkTAW.com
Thursday, October 14, 2004

A JAlbum plug-in did that; the JAlbum skin is PositionMap.

I run a travel/tourism site promoting southern New Mexico.  I currently have almost 500 articles to manage which are indexed both by categories and geographically (region, county, city).

I would love to have a map interface, like position map, that creates a map interface not only to images on the map, but my articles about the area on the map.  No can do.

I can use CityDesk like I am for the articles and JAlbum + plug-in tool to create a separate map and album for each region, county, and city, but they would be separate views. 

I need to integrate them--some thing CityDesk could easily do with better scripting and image map capabilities. It just isn't easy enough to create photo albums with CD.

Maybe I could use an image mapping program and replace all the image references with CityDesk magic names?  Again it would be a manual process, and I have way too many to manage properly manually.

David Burch

Since JAlbum is already so well-developed and has a large and active user base, a smarter strategy might be deeper CityDesk integration with JAlbum e.g. sharing of FTP settings,  seamless use of CityDesk templates as JAlbum templates etc.

David Walker

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home