Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Does citydesk support tables?

I should specify my question: I'd like a friend of mine to use citydesk, but he needs one small thing it didn't really support when I tried a few years ago:

He's got small tables on his web page, like

time | todo | note
----------------------
6:00 | Wake up | don't kill that alarm clock
6:00 | Breakfast | bring a roll
8:00 | off to work | Did I forget my hat again

And once upon a long ago I saw no way to do this in CityDesk without writing html yourself, and he's got no clue at all about html, so that was not an option.

Is there a way to draw/edit tables like this in current CityDesk? It need not be done with <table>, it just needs to look like on, tabstops for example would do if they can be done in html.

(Hope I wrote this clear enough)

thanks for any replys
Sam

Sam J.
Tuesday, October 05, 2004

You can't "wysiwyg" tables in CityDesk.

For my daughter #1, I keep a basic table for her site in an unpublished article with borders set to 1. She copies that wherever she wants it. I told her how to set borders to 0 and to add or remove rows in the HTML. That gets her by.

I have FrontPage so if a do something complicated, I do it there and paste it back into CityDesk - not an option for your friend.

Early on I wanted CityDesk to do tables better. Now, it's not my top priority for enhancements.

tk

As Terry said, CityDesk doesn't support tables, but another WYSIWYG editor can be used for editing your articles.

It's just a matter then of view source / HTML view, copy -> paste.

Unfortunately, this might be beyond some users. Maybe someone can recommend a DHTML Edit control tool that inserts tables? With that you could copy/paste without going in to the source code.

www.MarkTAW.com

NVu from nvu.org is a good tool (it's free).

David Burch
Wednesday, October 06, 2004

I thought NVU was a program. Its not.
Could someone recomend a simple editor to do tables ?

Joe Knapp

Be sure to look at nvu.com not nvu.org.  It is a pretty decent program, but I haven't played with it much.

For simple editing stuff I like to use FrontPage Express 2.0 (really!)  It is old but works well and puts out clean HTML as long as you don't mess with formatting options too much. If you don't already have it, you can find it on the net somewhere.

jetexas

I gave you the wrong URL: it's at nvu.com and there are downloads for Linux and Windows.  It offers similar functionality to Frontpage and Dreamweaver, but its free.  One nice thing about it are the Firefox-like tabs.

David Burch
Thursday, October 07, 2004

I also like Gemx TexNotes, a note organizer from Gemx.com.  It has good table support.

David Burch

Why doesn't CityDesk support tables? Is there a special reason?

Ruud van Soest

Don't know.  It has been a much requested feature since the beginning.

David Burch

I first assumed WYSIWYG tables is a feature that hadn't made it into a release yet. Of course I don't really know. But I think there is another reason. If a "designer' creates a templates, for a consistant look, a uses can really muck it up by putting tables into an article - a table width set to 1000 pixels might not look very nice.

It like what can happen if a user pastes from MS Word.

As for me, I want CityDesk to do tables (and be able to clense Word and Excel pastes).

tk

Isn't table editing part of the DHTML Edit Control functionality, i.e. just a matter of activating the appropriate "button" ? A hack anyone :-) ?

Patrick Thomas
http://www.telepark.de

Patrick Thomas
Friday, October 08, 2004

I just added EasyHTML to my External Tools list in CD. Small, quick and simple. Thanks for the tip.

Ruud van Soest
Friday, October 08, 2004

Check this out too:

http://www.telepark.de/webwizards/navigation/citydesk_javascript/js_citydesk_tables.html

David Watts
Thursday, October 21, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home