Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Designating Folders to include articles in...

I just downloaded the eval version of City Desk, and I'm trying to figure out if it can be used to build a particular style of weblog/community site.  The type of site that i have in mind is very similar to Borland's Community site (http://community.borland.com/).

I need something similar City Desk's concept of "Audiences" to designate which "Community" I want a particular article to appear in.  If you notice on the Borland site as you move from Community to Community, some of the same articles appear in some Communities, but not in others.  I am assuming that when a new article is composed, the author designates which Communities they want the article to appear in before they post it.  Can the "Audience" feature be used to accomplish this same result?

Eric Craton
Friday, January 04, 2002

I don't think this feature has been flexed enough, so this would be a great opportunity.

The scenario you are talking about is the perfect situation for Audiences.  Some articles would be set to "Everyone" and some would be set to specific Audiences.  Unfortunately its not a checkbox style (e.g. show this article to Teenagers and Babies but not to Parents or GrandParents)... its more of a radio button style (e.g. show this article to Teenagers only or show it to Everyone.)

Michael H. Pryor
Friday, January 04, 2002

Thanks Michael... I'll pursue this approach.  Do you know if allowing multiple audiences without having to make multiple copies is planned for a future version?

Eric Craton
Friday, January 04, 2002

Well, now that you mention it - that sort of use makes sense to me.  The problem with this feature is it hasn't really been utilized so its hard to tell exactly how it needs to evolve, but this use makes it alot clearer.  (Just changing the relationship from exclusive radio style to inclusive checkbox style would make it much nicer).

Michael H. Pryor
Friday, January 04, 2002

I find myself  needing a function like this.  There are articles which I would like to publish to a set of audiences but not necessarily all audiences.  Right now, I have to have separate files in CD but it would be nice not to have to switch data files.  Alternating between writing for different audiences now becomes counter-intuitive because CD automatically loads the last file used.

Hoang Do
Sunday, January 06, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home