Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Uploads Files That Haven't Changed. All the time.

Even with "changed files" checked and in normal "file copy" mode. (The files  are copied to a network station (V:\subdir\) under Novell Netware).

Any clues, anyone?

Thomas van Putten
Monday, October 04, 2004

"Me too".

I have the same problem, also publishing to a network drive. I have long ago reported it to Fog Creek and haven't heard from them since.

A possible solution (haven't tried it) could be to locally publish and do a manual sync of the files with the network drive.

GeraldH
Monday, October 04, 2004

"A possible solution (haven't tried it) could be to locally publish and do a manual sync of the files with the network drive."

Thank you for that suggestion. I tried it,  and it works. No unnecessary overwrites. Unfortunately I cannot use it  in my setup as I have several people at several workstations updating this file. But  it shows us where the error originates: in the co-operation or rather non-co-operation between Netware and Windows...

Thomas van Putten
Monday, October 04, 2004

This still shouldn't happen.

After all, that's why CityDesk writes a Citydesk.xml file into the root of the upload directory -- to keep track of these things.

GeraldH
Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Unfortunately, it does, even locally. Could it be that adding things like breadcrumbs (that use cd-listings "under water") causes CD to think the article has been modified even though there isn't a bit different?

Thomas van Putten

This used to happen to me, but it doesn't seem to do it anymore. Are you sure you're using the latest version?

If I just upload articles, then it will FTP all the files that I've added since the last full update, probably because that particular function doesn't depend on the citydesk.xml file.

But once I do a whole-site update, it fixes that.

I used to have to work around this by uploading large files outside of CD and absolute linking to them, but now it seems OK.

What I want is for CityDesk to upload new files first, and modified files second. This way there aren't any dead links while it's FTPing, or if for some reason the FTP session stops mid stream.

www.MarkTAW.com

I am amazed someone is still using Novell. Micro$oft has a great little progam for coping files across the network. Its called Robocopy.exe . It is fast.

Joe Knapp
Sunday, October 17, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home