Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Yet Another v3 Feature Request

Here's one of mine. Enable users to save default field contents with templates. I spend way too much time plugging the same variables into the Properties and the Extras tabs' fields every time I add a new article.

While I think it is a strength of Citydesk that you can, in effect, create one-off pages by choosing to populate these fields differently on a page-by-page basis, there are times when you want an index of recent articles to always appear in the right sidebar of every page. So it's be great to plug the Recent Articles variable into the Sidebar field of the template and be done with it.

Has this been requested before?

Scott McDonald
Thursday, September 30, 2004

I wouldn't be suprised if it's been asked before, but anyway I second that request.

George Illes

Good idea. One work-around in the meantime could be to copy and paste new articles instead of creating new one's from scratch.

Patrick Thomas
http://www.telepark.de/webwizards

Patrick Thomas

I have one site that I always copy a "scratch" article to add a certain kind of page. I thought I'd have about one of these pages a month but I've I'm up to about 275 of them now. It's routine.

If you've heard this before, you can stop reading now.

It's unpublished with a file name of "zz" and located at a point in the tree where I add new articles of the type. It says stuff like "put foo here" and "put bar here," it has the keywords I want.

The routine is to hit the "z" key (which takes me to the scratch article), Ctl-C / Ctl-V to make a copy of the article, remove the "never publish after" check, change the fileddate, do the article, add the headline and use a copy of the headline to rename the filename.

I tear right through it without thinking. I can imagine cases where it might be the best way for users to add certain articles.

tk

Yeah, keep those requests coming! As if it matters...

The most important v3 feature is integrating HTML_DbScript into CityDesk. So CD can create html pages dynamically, with all templates functioning.

Hey, I use HTML_DbScript and I love it! But what a pain when </deep breath> I add a record to my external Access table, and CD doesn't create the html page for that record because the CD article containing the SQL SELECT statement had no modifications </deep breath>.

This feature is the starting point for v3.

Of course, v3 is vapourware...

Bob Bloom
Friday, October 01, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home