Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Wish for CityDesk v3

It probably was asked before, but this is what I need: a way to prevent opening templates made by us and distributed in a cty-file for use with the CityDesk Contributor version. Users shouldn't be able to open the cty-file with another CityDesk Professional version. So there should be a link between our Pro version and the Contributor files we distribute.

Ruud van Soest
Monday, September 27, 2004

Well... they should be able to open it with another CD Pro Edition, but not without our permission.

Ruud van Soest

You want a password feature implemented?

Emerson Seiti Takahashi

I am not sure. If the password works selectively when opening the cty-file with a Pro edition, it would be an option, I guess.

Users should of course be able to open the cty-file with their Contributor editions, so they can work with it. But they should not be able to get full access to the templates, locations etcetera.

If we distribute a cty-file together with a CityDesk Contributor edition nothing prevents them from buying a Pro Edition and get access to the templates and locations.  I guess they could even do this with a starter Edition, if they keep the number of files < 50.

So the main thing is that we but not others - at least not without our permision - can fully open the files we distribute. 

Ruud van Soest
Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Yeah, keep asking for new features!

Bob Bloom

Why do you want this feature? What's wrong with users editing a template if they want something changed?

Is it just that you want to force them to come back and pay you for any future site changes?

Darren Collins

Darren, we use CityDesk templates as a 'route generator' to generate small subsites with information on citywalks. It is a sort of location based service, you can get the info on internet but also via your cell phone if you have access to internet (i-mode and other gprs).

At this moment we enter the the route content in CityDesk. This content is developed by other organisations. But in the future content providers will be able to enter this information themselves - think of cultural organisations, but also students and pupils of schools. Because every route is part of one system and the info is accessed via one site, we must be sure that everything appears as it should appear. So, unless we are convinced that there will be no accidents, we don't want others to touch the templates.

That is one reason why we can't have everyone mess with the templates. The other one is of course the competition - why should we do the work for them?

Ruud van Soest
Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Ah, OK, now I can see where you're heading with this idea. I think it's going to be pretty hard to work that way with CityDesk unless Fog Creek writes some specific features for you.

Coincidentally, I also work in the mobile phone location area. I'm at the other end, though, writing code for the infrastructure that the telcos buy to put in their networks in order to locate handsets.

Darren Collins
Wednesday, September 29, 2004

I just wish for there to be a CityDesk v3.

David Burch
Thursday, September 30, 2004

I do not see any way for CityDesk to differentiate between issues of a magazine.  My magazine has monthy issues, October, November, etc, and I want the user to be able to choose by issue, with back issues available.  It seems that CityDesk just has the "current" issue available. 

jcotton@excite.com  ( if you reply, put a non-spam identifier in the subject!)

Joe Cotton
Thursday, October 14, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home