Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Network Drive Page Counter

I posted the following to the Joel on Software forum. In case there aren't cross-over readers, here's what I posted:

A web search has not provided much help, so here's my question:

I manage an intranet that employees access using IE. The pages reside on a network drive. (IM dept. has not made a server available, and most likely won't.)

I've been asked to develop a counter to see which pages are most visited, etc.

Anyone know of a way to do this using a network drive? A javascript method, e.g.? My access rights to the drive are limited.

George Illes
Tuesday, September 21, 2004

That sounds pretty messed up. I'd just advise them that the best way to collect those types of statistics is to serve the pages using a web server.

Darren Collins
Tuesday, September 21, 2004

There might be some system monitoring tools, depending on the server OS used (e.g. file access statistics).  Couldn't a trace log utility for W2K Professional do the trick ? Honestly don't know, just a shot from the hip...

Patrick Thomas
http://www.telepark.de/webwizards

Patrick Thomas
Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Regardless of the approach, I think you will need decent access rights to the drive.

David Burch

Sorry, no help with an answer.  Just a comment.  This makes me so so sad.  small minds stifling people who want to think and improve... eeeeeeeeeeeeeeek

Joel Goldstick

It's sad. And pathetic. And strange. I know the people in the IM dept. They're not grisly monsters. They're just normal people. But because of fear, laziness, institutional inertia, etc*, to get a web server requires an act of God. In fact, the intranet was started not by executive management's initiative. I started it, and did so cause it makes sense.

But the question is...how does it come to pass that an organization can't get its act together to implement obvious cost-saving and productivity-enhancing measures, like an intranet? In a mid-size organization (in this case, 800 government employees) what separates a good idea from its successful execution? Turf wars? Incompetency? Bureaucracy? A truly vested interest in the welfare of the organization (as in: if it was your company you'd be busting your ass to implement ANY cost saving features)? I think this last one is the crux.

*Not to mention, surprise, ruthless efficiency, and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope :)

George Illes

Are they "afraid of the complexity involved" (or the perception of it) ? Show them that there is little...XAMPP is a good start. Will get you a complete webserver based on Apache and including PHP and MySQL support installed on your local system in minutes...to demo, for example.

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

Regards

Patrick Thomas
http://www.telepark.de

Patrick Thomas
Sunday, September 26, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home