Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Joel Spolsky on CityDesk

Australia's two largest capital city broadsheet newspapers, the Sydney Morning Herald and Melbourne's The Age, have just published a piece I wrote on Joel Spolsky's well-known change of heart about the future of Web-based applications.

My extended version of the piece is at:

http://www.shorewalker.com/section1/webui.html

Joel made clear in his interview with me that the comparative successes of FogBugz (big success) and CityDesk (much smaller success) influenced that change of heart.

Don't get Joel wrong. When he talked to me - though it's not in the published article - Joel reiterated that CityDesk continues to sell and will continue to be developed. I will post one or two additional fragments of the interview relating to CityDesk on my shorewalker.com site when time permits.

Comments are welcome. (Shorewalker.com has recently been rebuilt from the ground up and now runs on CityDesk.)

David Walker
Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Thank you, David. This (and your excellent site) is very interesting reading. Why didn’t “the Man” say something to this effect here? I’m sure we would all have understood. Well, never mind. Much wiser, I’ll stop complaining and only hope that Fog Creek will make one final version of CityDesk that eliminates most, or perhaps all, known bugs. That way I can continue to use CD for years. I simply love that program and would hate to see it die unfinished.

Yes, there are other programs out there – the newest trying to save the CMS-world in one go – but they doesn’t do the job half as good as the poor bug ridden CityDesk.

Jorgen B.

What, Joel's going to say that he's abandoned CD? Who'd buy it then?

Bob Bloom

David,

The article seems to stop short.  I have read everything you have quoted elsewhere and I would be very interested to see Joel's answers to your interview questions.

David Burch
Wednesday, September 22, 2004

CityDesk could be like Blogger. A Web Application, but with an API to a rich client like http://www.wbloggar.com/

Emerson Seiti Takahashi
Saturday, September 25, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home