Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Nine month and still no news

It is now nine months since the last real news on the CityDesk news page.

Jorgen B.
Monday, September 20, 2004

Shocked!

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=11528&ixReplies=15

Of course, I'm one of the half dozen users singled out on this site as troublemakers for complaining.

Meanwhile, same old same old for CD.

Having surveyed open source cms, I can see why Joel is giving up. It's hard to compete where every web host throws in php/mysql and stuff like WordPress ( http://wordpress.org/ ), is available. 

I did get an email of Joel's new articles, along with a new book. Makes me think that, yeah, CD's on the back burner.

I keep seeing posts asking for new features. Dream a little dream of me!

Shana Tova!

-Bob

Bob Bloom
Monday, September 20, 2004

I'm probably also one of the six ;-) Who's next.

I don't think it's worth it any more to think about CD's future, because i think there will be no future. There are no updates to the site since the last time we had a big discussion here and that was in may. No news, no future.

What should one think about a software programm that's not being updated for 13 months. No bugfixes, no nothing.

Luckely there are only 6 "troublemakers" thinking about that. I still use CD to update some sites, but all potential new users of CMS software like CD, i point towards CMS Encore because i see a future there.

Is there someone on the forum who is clairvoyant, and who could give some answers? ;-)

PeterM
Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Not sure I am one of the six, but I have already said plenty on this.

David Burch

I'm not so pessimistic. Joel said it's not finished and they continue to work on it. I believe him. But I do appreciate the dark clouds feared by the "six."

Personally, I don't need CityDesk to do much more than it does now but a few little improvements would be nice. As an ancient former programmer I think a little more oomph in scripting, extra fields, and manageability might increase it's capabilities by an order of magnitude. Changes that make CityDesk more viable in the market would be nice too.

Are they considering competing with web based content management systems? They already have one in Fog Bugz.

But as I've said before here, a product that meets requirements of a 500-page big-company RFP is probably too much for tk.

tk

I'm not sure if Joel has given up or if he just doesn't care to have his customers in the know.  Either way, I think he is grossly underestimating the benefits of a strong and loyal customer base in growing "good software" that "takes ten years."

Joel's policy is to keep his corporate mouth shut on all CityDesk matters.  This doesn't make any sense to me.  A look at the FogBugz forum shows that policy doesn't hold for that product.

My opinion is that CityDesk to continue to grow, one of two things needs to happen: 1) A REGULAR release cycle that fixes more bugs than its new features create, or 2) Opening up and actually communicating what is happening to the customers every so often.

Anything less is an insult. 

David Burch
Wednesday, September 22, 2004

that CityDesk -> that for CityDesk

David Burch
Wednesday, September 22, 2004

I'm working on something similar to city desk.  Keep a look out in the next month or so.  It offers more control using an imbedded SQL database, but setup is a little more involved because you will need to write your own SQL commands in the template.  You also get to design your own forms instead of using a fixed form like City Desk..

Fox
Thursday, September 23, 2004

I must admit, that I have abandoned Citydesk (too). I found a company http://www.pmachine.com that develops a web based CMS called ExpressionEngine.

It's a great product, they offer great service, and they obviously have big goals for it. Enough reason for me to devote my resources to them.

I guess at some point I'll be a fogbugz customer. We'll use it for our customer service.

Maurice Fäh

Hi Maurice:
---
Do I have to buy a new license every year?

When you purchase a license you own it forever. /.../  After one year, if you want to continue accessing the download area for continued updates you can purchase a yearly renewal for $19.95 (non-commercial license) or $39.95 (commercial license).
---

Do you like an anual payment ?

bob

Guess I'm the last of the horrible half-dozen to check in <sigh> always late to the party these days.

PNII

@Bob

Well, we've been paying thousands of dollars for updates with many of our other software products. So this is a rather modest fee.

What really matters to us, is that they keep improving the product. This is the only reason to buy updates at all.

Maurice Fäh
Friday, September 24, 2004

around the time CD2 was released I used to check this forum daily... now i drop by every other week. Even this seems a bit desperate, hoping for some news of an update. <sigh>

gilad
Saturday, September 25, 2004

I had to check back frequently to make sure I didn't miss posts rolling off the edge of the screen.  Now I feel I need to post just to keep some activity on the board.  Silly, I know.

me
Wednesday, September 29, 2004

The software hasn't been updated that runs this message board, has it? Meanwhile you can get valuable tips about Business Travel on Joelonsoftware. So progress continues.

If I had really paid the 300 dollar upgrade for CityDesk Snob Edition, I would have sent a team of professional spammers to Joel's offices by now. But hey, I only paid 79 bucks in--when was that? 1999??? So, it's water under the bridge.

Anonyn
Friday, October 01, 2004

Yeah what the last guy said.

I would love to hear more news. I still like the product.

But I've already had my money's worth and then some.

Robert Moir
Wednesday, October 06, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home