Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Useful feature...

I want to have "sections", and I'd like to be able to create a list of the sections that I have (see my current http://www.halostatue.ca for the list -- there's nothing behind it, but that's more or less what I want; it's currently database-driven).

Ideally, I'd do this with something like:

{$ foreach in s (folderlist) $}
{$ s.name $}
{$ s.link $}
etc.

-austin

Austin Ziegler
Monday, October 15, 2001

You can do this with CityDesk!

for http://www.halostatue.ca

Just create two folders
one called "news"
one called "a dance of words"

put your articles inside those folders then.

for your main page, just create a link to news and a link
to dance of words, then inside those folders, create index.html files with the following code

{$foreach x in (folder "news")$}
  <a href="{$x.link}">{$x.headline$}</a> <br>
{$ next $}

and

{$foreach x in (folder "a dance of words")$}
  <a href="{$x.link}">{$x.headline$}</a> <br>
{$ next $}

Michael Pryor
Tuesday, October 16, 2001

Not quite what I'm after.

In particular, I'm after being able to generate the folder-list itself, not just the articles.

That's what's missing (e.g., a new keyword "folderlist" and not just 'folder "name"').

-austin

Austin Ziegler

I know what you mean. I worked around it (in creating the CityDesk help file) by creating an article for each folder. All of these articles are in a special folder which I loop over to create the list of sections.

It's a bit of a nuisance because if I add or delete a section, I have to add an article AND a folder. But it's nice because I can have teasers for sections. And I use this article as the
"home page" for the section, too -- inside the article itself I have another foreach loop which lists the contents of that section.

Joel Spolsky

Well, that's actually not a bad idea. Let me give that a try, as it just might work well enough to not care as much (-:

Still, with properties on folders (similar to articles), you could get the teaser effect anyway.

Austin Ziegler

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home