Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

User selected folders?

The site I'm working on and working on ... will be updated by users that don't have the time or interest to learn html or the finer details of City Desk.  One of the most important features that I'd like to offer them is to create a list of links to all articles in a folder that they select.

Ideally they could enter the name of the folder or insert a variable into an article field.  I've tried various things with inserting names and variables but not luck yet.  Although I'm not very fit in working with anything more than simple variables.

I know that using keywords correctly can achieve the same / similar result but I'd like to save the keywords for another purpose and don't want to confuse the users with having to manage too many keywords.

PRyan
Monday, September 13, 2004

Not sure exactly what you are trying to do, maybe I'm dense this evening.  If keywords are almost working for you, keywords can be separated into groups as in this real estate example:  Builder(Burch), Agent(Cassey), SQFT(4500), Bed(5), Bath(4), Garage(4). . .

You can also generate a list of fields from articles within a folder, but judging from your previous posts, I think you know that.

David Burch
Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Maybe I can descirbe it more simply.  Ideally I would like users to enter a folder name into an article field say Extra 2.

This would then list links to all articles.  Something like:

{$ foreach x in (folder "{$ .extra2 $}") $}
    {$ x.link $}<br />
{$ next $}

Another option could be to insert a variable into the Extra 2 field.

I'd prefer to avoid using keywords if possible.

PRyan
Wednesday, September 15, 2004

You could make some variables containing scripts that pull the links your want. The user would "Insert Variable" and select from a list.

"Folder1LinksToPutInExtra1Field"

"Folder2LinksToPutInExtra1Field"

tk

An easy way to have your users enter variables is to have them use the Insert | Variable menu item.

IMHO {$.VariableName$} is a funky syntax ripe for opportunities for error for anyone).

David Burch

Tried it with variables and it works great.  Using insert variable should work for the users I have too.

Thanks for the help.

PRyan

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home