Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Index - Content

I have a KB template with the Index on the left and the content on the right... pretty typical.

I am using collapsible outlines but as I navigate it, obviously, I can't maintain the collapsibleness of the index section.

I have searched but I can't seem to get an idea how to accomplish this short of frames which I'm told are tantamount to Goto's or driving an Automatic!

Is there a method of doing this?

_
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

There are those who defend use of frames in this circumstance, they tend to get stoned on sight however and therefore keep a low profile ;-).

I assume you want to generate the index with cityscript.  I can't think of a completely automatic way to do it.  You might be able to do something similar to the cityscript method for creating bread crumbs where the index for each section is pulled in from a variable in index.html for that folder. 

http://www.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/kb/howto/Breadcrumbs.html

Let me know if you want me to elaborate.

Ken McKinney
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Thanks Ken

I've got all the script done and everything is in place and seems to work well with the exception of being able to maintain the collapse/expand state of the outlines in the index between pages...

I did start out with the breadcrumbs example, by the way <g>

_
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Different templates based on the content where the index part is set open or closed? Or maybe you can use an if statement in the template to show them open or closed depending on the folder of the item or something?

Bill Nalen
Thursday, August 26, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home