Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Advantages of CD compared to FP

I have Frontpage 2003 and it lets you create templates (new to the 2003 version I think) with only certain areas editable. The template is then applied to any page and the page is updated whenever the template changes. This is sort of what CD does except Frontpage doesn't have any script ability in the template.

So, if I need a site that's pretty static (maybe 1 news item per month) and just has static info about my software (kind of like the CityDesk site itself), does CD offer any advantages? I've played with CD a little, but not more than creating a simple template with a top part, left nav bar and main content area, and then creating a couple pages using that template.

Am I missing something big, or is CD more suited to sites where the content changes more rapidly than 1 news type page changing about once/month. I'm more interested in big features that I might be missing than small things that CD can do. I'll probably need to buy another copy of FP anyways, so the price difference between CD and FP isn't all that much.

Bill Nalen
Monday, August 16, 2004

Content management systems help you manage your content, and they seperate you from technique and design/layout work. With 1 addition per month there's not much to  manage, and if you know your way in Frontpage, I don't see how any cms will be of much advantage to you. So I would definitely use FP in your case.

If you need a cms in the future, you can still create parts of your website that are produced and managed by a cms. (We never use CityDesk for a complete site, only parts of it).

Ruud van Soest
Monday, August 16, 2004

CD also has an advantage when building a web site for non-technical users.  You can define the template and CityScript to build the index pages, then train them only on how to add articles to a folde, using Normal view,  and how to publish.

David Burch
Monday, August 16, 2004

I have FP 2000, did a few sites with it, then found CityDesk during the first beta testing. I think that if you already own it, go ahead and use it. CityDesk might come into play for you later. As for me, once I found CityDesk, I quit doing FrontPage sites and have converted all but two of them. Like your site, those two sites mostly just sit there.

I'm very glad to have FP though, I use it to edit my CityDesk templates from time to time and to make tables when I need to use them in CityDesk. I also use FP to open pages from the web when I want to figure out how some pages are designed.

In any case I now use CityDesk even for one-page sites. This one uses the template that comes with the program:
http://inmanmiddleschool.org/

tk
Monday, August 16, 2004

With CityDesk, when I add a new news item, three pages change automatically -- a page for the item itself is created, my front page (which has the seven latest items) is updated with the new item, and my archive page of  items lists the item, with a link.

Also, if I edit a change into the item, it is updated on both the front page and on the item within the archive.

Without a scripting engine, I would be updating three different Web pages when creating a news item (so I would probably only be writing one news item per month as well!).

rt
Tuesday, August 17, 2004

"rt" has the ultimate CityDesk point. It takes some painful chores out of the process. You are more free to concentrate on the content of the site.

tk
Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Yep. With frontpage every article added is 2 or 3 extra edits. With CityDesk it's... no extra edits.

www.MarkTAW.com
Wednesday, August 18, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home