Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

How should CityDesk handle pictures?

Last Friday a customer brought me a CD and told me to put them on the site. First I passed out, and then I tried to talk him down. Realizing that his pictures can help him promote his services, I started messing around with some of them:
http://curllandscapes.com/Pages/Porfolio.html

I don't know if CityDesk is going to provide any special features for managing pictures. I sure hope so. What is troubling my tiny brain is trying to figure out how I'd want CityDesk to manage picture.

Would it provide some new scripting features, some sort of automatic script generation (that you could mess with), a combination of both, something a contributor could use without making a mess? Would it produce galleries of thumbnails, slideshows? Would it all visual selection of pictures? The more I think, the more confused I get. I don’t want CityDesk to incorporate all of Photoshop Album, or do I?

So in the meantime I’m making pages that contain several pictures that “tell a story.” I’m creating a list of those pages and a next/previous thing to page through them. Then I get an idea: with keywords, allow the user to see a slide show of ponds or of stonework, or whatever service they are interested in. But that means I need a next/previous template for each keyword slideshow.

I’m leaving out a lot of painful details of getting 114 new pictures from CD, through Photoshop Elements, sorting them into a meaningful sequence, naming them so I can insert the right picture into the right page, dragging them into CityDesk, and finally, into a page. I’m writing this while my eyes recover.

tk
Friday, August 13, 2004

TK,

I think more powerful cityscript features, like the ability to loop over images and other files and the the ability to address each item in the loop, would go a long way here.

David Burch
Friday, August 13, 2004

That PHP gallery maker on citydesknews.com might be a big help to you if his site supports PHP.

David Burch
Friday, August 13, 2004

I did the PHP gallery here and it turned out great, I think:
http://kk.tk-jk.net/PhtoGallery/index.php
but when I tried to add more picture to a gallery something went wrong, the files and captions got out of order, I gave up on it.

I looked into this one in javascript and it's slick:
http://slideshow.barelyfitz.com/

But I need to do one of these for each picture with a CityScript that could loop through images (or through articles named the same as the picture "{x.filename}.jpg") but even then I'd need a caption to be associated with each image:
s = new slide();
s.src =  "this is the URL of the picture";
s.text = unescape("Caption goes here");
s.link = "";
s.target = "";
s.attr = "width:510,height:348";
s.filter = "";
SLIDES.add_slide(s);

There are ways to do it now. But both require more thinking and they both have less flexibilty than I'd prefer.

Maybe just a little more CityScript umph could solve a lot of this.

tk
Friday, August 13, 2004

in Php gallery the photos are ordered alfabeticaly... just open the popup menu with the right mouse button and select the order alfab. option.

i usually rename my pictures with an XX_name, being XX a number.

bob
Sunday, August 15, 2004

I agree with David. A little more flexibility in CityScript would really open up a myriad of possibilities for tasks like this.

I've been holding off tackling some of these types of jobs for a long time now, hoping that CD3.0 will help me. The wait has been so long that I've now begun looking for other solutions.

Darren Collins
Sunday, August 15, 2004

This is a common request, probably one of the main requests within the first couple months of CD launching. I always wanted greater file metadata support, and better support for large files in general.

www.MarkTAW.com
Sunday, August 15, 2004

Would also be cool if EXIF data could also be made available to CityScript

David Watts
Monday, August 16, 2004

You might look into HTML DBScript (http://www.greenwave-solutions.com/HTMLDBScriptForCityDesk.html).  The latest version allows you to create multiple pages from a single query.  Of course you need to manage the image files external to CityDesk, but with some work I think HTML DBScript would to the trick.

Terry Powell
Wednesday, September 01, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home