Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Dashes and quotation marks

Recently I read a terrific article on "A List Apart"...

http://www.alistapart.com/stories/emen/

...and decided that I would pay more attention to how I use dashes and quotation marks from now on.

I don't see a way of entering, say, an em-dash in either the Normal or HTML views but if I type "—" into the HTML view, then flip back to Normal view, I see a correct em-dash. Oddly enough, if I then switch back to HTML view, I see an em-dash there too.

The article also talks about the correct way to represent quotation marks:

‘ for an opening single quote (Ctrl + ` ` in Word—that’s two grave accents—that character on the tilde key).

’ for a closing single quote (or an apostrophe) (Ctrl + '' in Word).

“ for an opening double quote (Ctrl + ` " in Word).

” for a closing double quote (Ctrl + ' " in Word).

If there was any way of simplfying the entry of these values in the article editor in a future release, I'd be thrilled. (In the mean time, I'm going to work on some kind of a keyboard macro doodad...)

Cheers.

M.

Michael O'Henly
Tuesday, January 01, 2002

that one's on my wish-list too!

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, January 01, 2002

Ready for a crude answer? I keep a .txt file on my desktop which has a number of formatting templates in it, like for "small blockquotes" (i.e. using the "small" tag instead of a hard font choice) and in that file I also have copies of certain special characters I use sometimes, like the TM mark or the em-dash. When I need one of them, I copy and paste.

(I'm not hardwiring a fixed font-size on my site, so that people can use the browser font-size choices based on their screen size. That's why I use "big" and "small" for emphasis rather than "font size 4" or "font size 2". By the same token, I don't hardwire a font. I believe in letting people choose those things for themselves.)

Steven C. Den Beste
Wednesday, January 02, 2002

Thanks for your suggestion, Steven.

In a way, this kind of stuff worries me. If the article editor is truly intended to be a "word processor", then the fewer of these workarounds, the better.

I think CityDesk's weakest aspect is the article editing environment. I appreciate that these are early days and that it's important to get the basic functionality in place first, but editing articles in CD is painful compared to a good text editor. WYSIWYG is great, but I find I'm working in HTML view more than I expected to and that's where I'd love to be able to use EditPlus, my normal text editor. (I am using EditPlus with CD for CSS/HTML, so that parts okay.)

Cheers.

M.

Michael O'Henly

Hey, cut 'em some slack. It's version 1.

The idea was to get something reasonable out and selling to start bringing in revenue so as to finance further development. I think that's perfectly reasonable. Fog Creek doesn't have the wealth of Gates, keep in mind.

Steven C. Den Beste

For the work-around I use, see:
http://www.pool-room.com/CodeCraft/CityDesk/fog0000000058.html

Darren Collins

Hey, thanks for the plug! :)

Garth Kidd

That's a cool workaround. Thanks!

M.

Michael O'Henly